• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best place for gas?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
its tough to find places to fill owned bottles above like 80cf, places like praxair, BOC, etc want you on their scummy lease setup where they overcharge you on the lease and the fill
Welding suppliers SUCK on both gas and consumables. Total BS & monopolistic behaviour. I've ranted about this before... KMS is the best option - they're not perfect as they usually can't give you a full fill. Another thing for the forum to do - start making and selling welding gases. CHMW Co-Op welding gas & consumables. :D
I moved from Victoria to North Cowichan (near Duncan) about a year and a half ago. The tank I got at KMS just ran out, and rather than go all the way to KMS in Victoria to refill, I looked for a gas supplier here. Found one, sorta, Praxair/Linde:

Me: Do you refill privately owned tanks?
Him: Sure do.
Me: Great- I've got a 110CU 75/25 Argon/Co2, what will it cost?
Him: Can't do that - That's a "Lease Size" - only allowed to fill small tanks. You got it from KMS and the only people that will fill it are KMS. But they don't tell you that when you buy the tank. I've had lots of people return their tanks to KMS when they find this out.
Yes "Return their tanks to KMS" and have them filled he means. and at half the price. :mad:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
If you transport them upright then people know what you're hauling
:D
Mostly just oxygen here but I've driven many miles with the tanks banging around in the pickup box, laying down. Curious your reasoning, as I never once attempted to secure tanks, as long as the cap was on there
I think transporting acetylene tanks lying down is a real risk.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The impression I had from the praxair guy was that this was a legal thing, rather than a business decision thing. But he didn't actually say that in so many words.
No - there is no reason. Just trying to bamboozle us into leasing BS and BS gas refill prices. If people tell you crap like that walk out - you don't want to deal with them.

Tom O

Ultra Member
If you transport them upright then people know what you're hauling
:D
Mostly just oxygen here but I've driven many miles with the tanks banging around in the pickup box, laying down. Curious your reasoning, as I never once attempted to secure tanks, as long as the cap was on there
This is how I transport mine for a refill it’s quite solid. If your transporting acetylene you have to let it stand for a good 1/2 hour before use.

IMG_0135.jpeg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This is how I transport mine for a refill it’s quite solid. If your transporting acetylene you have to let it stand for a good 1/2 hour before use.

View attachment 46289
I made a sled out of 2x4s with two cradles for bottles that slot into the bed liner, and I can strap down in the same position as you. It also acts as a stopper for my jerry cans, so they nest in there tight, same with the propane bbq tanks.

mickeyf

I was under the impression - quite possibly wrong - that any pressurized tank must be transported upright for safety reasons (and maybe legally), i.e. if "something goes wrong" you want it to blast off vertically where it's less likely to hit someone. I *think* I can squeeze my tank into the back seat area of my car and still keep it up right. I plan to confirm this today. If that works, then the truck can stay home.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member

View attachment 46289
Why not cut a few saddles out of wood and bolt them together so that you have a flat-frame that will sit in the bed of your pickup ?
That would ensure a secure place for the tanks during transport.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
From the Govt of Alberta guidlines.
All compressed gas cylinders are considered dangerous because they contain gas under pressure. The cylinder’s valve can easily be damaged by falling or striking another object; this could create a rocket out of an ordinary cylinder. The TDG Regulations [Section 5.4] say that the cylinders/containers shall be loaded safely and securely stowed during transport. There is no direction as to how it should be secured. In addition, CSA Standard B340 [referred to in Section 5.10(1)(a)(i)] requires that any gas with a liquid phase (for example, propane which is liquefied, or acetylene, which is dissolved in acetone), must be transported upright so that the safety valves are in contact with the vapour space and not the liquid.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Other than propane and acetylene there are no concerns transporting a cylinder laying down so long as it's secured

That bottle upright is just as likely, if not more so to go flying and have the valve knocked off in an accident as a cylinder laying down

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Other than propane and acetylene there are no concerns transporting a cylinder laying down so long as it's secured

That bottle upright is just as likely, if not more so to go flying and have the valve knocked off in an accident as a cylinder laying down
I thought maybe there was difference in the valving for gas vs liquid.