Other Best old books

P.T. Bridgeport

I'm wondering if you can suggest a great old book from the golden age of hobby metalworkers. You know, like the old SB "How to Run a Lathe" and "Model Engineer" magazine.
I've got two in my collection which may be of interest, both from 1942. The first is Shop Theory - Henry Ford trade School, and the second is Audels Machinists and Toolmaker's Handbook.
There is a lot of good info in each. Lindsay Publications did a reprint of Shop Theory, which may make it easier to find than Audi's.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
I’m the odd person out here as I sold my three volumes of the Bedside reader as I really didn’t care for them.
I think I might be in the same camp as you. I received the new volume 1 Bedside Reader and am not sure what to make of it.

If I’d wanted a fiction story with an engineering bent, I’d have read something by Nevil Shute

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've got two in my collection which may be of interest, both from 1942. The first is Shop Theory - Henry Ford trade School, and the second is Audels Machinists and Toolmaker's Handbook.
There is a lot of good info in each. Lindsay Publications did a reprint of Shop Theory, which may make it easier to find than Audi's.
Someone told me about the Ford book. I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds interesting from what I heard.