• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Best 10" lathe?

@Megar arc 5040dd Lathes like this one are far better bang-for-buck, and my experience is that if the guy is willing to run it for you, it is in good enough shape to buy.... Less than half the price of new, gives you room to tool up the lathe.

[update] I *never* buy from dealers. they know how to sell you a dog. I only buy machines that are operational, with tooling, and see ti run under power. I've bought 8 machines this way, and never disappointed.

Last edited:
Agreed, that SM1122 looks like a good candidate machine.

I’m not quite as down on buying from a dealer. My first machine came from a dealer, I didn’t know the used machine market (it was 1983, I was young and didn’t feel confident I could find what I wanted, and I didn’t want to wait a long time) - yes, I paid dearly for a decent capable machine - up and machining right away. In retrospect it was a good decision - I’ve had that first lathe 41 years and have used it / still use it a lot. In retrospect I have no regrets on paying top dollar on that first machine.

I now have about 10 more machines. They all came to me as wrecks / near wrecks. I never run machines before buying (not an option) and usually there is nothing for tooling, perhaps even pieces missing. Basically I’m looking for good bones and certain features (and belief that I can fix the problems). If a machine is running, can be proven to perform well, comes with tooling - well that is out of my price range.

So far i have had good results, but I have the time, abilities and interest to sort out machine issues. Obviously I could be working on a boat anchor, but my exposure is small $ - I can get some of my money back selling parts or hauling it to the scrap dealer (so far that has not happened).

The point being, that there are different approaches to acquiring machines. If you want a certain machine, or certain features - you have limitations on size, power, weight - and that lands in a sought after category (i.e. a 10”-12” swing lathe) - then expect to pay for it. Of course getting just the right machine, very cheap, right next door does happen, sort of like winning a lottery (that does happen) but don’t count on it.

Machine dealers can be okay. Of course they are going to make some margin, but if they have what you want, it may be worth it to you. For example, I was looking for additional attachments for an unusual small milling machine (Maho) - I found what I was looking for through a dealer in Montreal (fuzzy pictures , no option to run it, extra gearing missing). Cost me an extra $1000 to package and ship (#3000) across the country. Very happy with the result.

I agree with dabbler - especially on a first machine it best to select a machine that is set up and try before you buy it. You’ll pay much more than scrap metal price - I think you’ll get a good (even better) tooled up machine at a better price than going all new.

Last edited:
@Megar arc 5040dd Lathes like this one are far better bang-for-buck, and my experience is that if the guy is willing to run it for you, it is in good enough shape to buy.... Less than half the price of new, gives you room to tool up the lathe.

[update] I *never* buy from dealers. they know how to sell you a dog. I only buy machines that are operational, with tooling, and see ti run under power. I've bought 8 machines this way, and never disappointed.
There are good used machines out there for sure but your kind of proving my points on why I was asking about new. Unless you are a little experienced and know what to look for in a used machine being shown a running machine doesn't mean its not worn out. It just means it runs and moves. Even completely worn out machines make chips.

And as for the listing you showed that is another reason I was asking about new machines. Not everyone is located in Ontario in Saskatchewan you get to choose between maybe a couple of used lathes every month or two. So basically you can take one that is available now or roll the dice and maybe find a better one in a few months. It is also harder to get exactly what you want used. For example if I wanted a lathe with a certain size spindle bore, with power cross feed, a steady rest and fallow rest well I could be waiting years for that to come on the used market here. Or I spend who knows how long trying to find the steady and follow rest new.

Used lathes are definitely an option for people who have the knowledge to be able to make sure its in good condition and happen to live in an area that they are readily available on the used market. There is nothing wrong with buying a used machine but there was a few reasons why I asked about new machines and not used machines.

There are good used machines out there for sure but your kind of proving my points on why I was asking about new. Unless you are a little experienced and know what to look for in a used machine being shown a running machine doesn't mean its not worn out. It just means it runs and moves. Even completely worn out machines make chips.

And as for the listing you showed that is another reason I was asking about new machines. Not everyone is located in Ontario in Saskatchewan you get to choose between maybe a couple of used lathes every month or two. So basically you can take one that is available now or roll the dice and maybe find a better one in a few months. It is also harder to get exactly what you want used. For example if I wanted a lathe with a certain size spindle bore, with power cross feed, a steady rest and fallow rest well I could be waiting years for that to come on the used market here. Or I spend who knows how long trying to find the steady and follow rest new.

Used lathes are definitely an option for people who have the knowledge to be able to make sure its in good condition and happen to live in an area that they are readily available on the used market. There is nothing wrong with buying a used machine but there was a few reasons why I asked about new machines and not used machines.
dude this is a community which makes all your points moot.

wait, what you ask?

No matter what part of Canada you are in there are members here who will point you to every deal worth investigating in person.

There is also likely a member who will go with you and show you just what to check out on a used lathe. Also in several provinces there is also likely someone willing to help you move said lathe home.

I'll second Dabbler's comment NEVER BUY FROM A DEALER. They do not add value to our market at all and they cant grasp that hobbyists can't write down equipment to pay inflated prices for clapped out crap.

Where are you looking?

dude this is a community which makes all your points moot.

wait, what you ask?

No matter what part of Canada you are in there are members here who will point you to every deal worth investigating in person.

There is also likely a member who will go with you and show you just what to check out on a used lathe. Also in several provinces there is also likely someone willing to help you move said lathe home.

I'll second Dabbler's comment NEVER BUY FROM A DEALER. They do not add value to our market at all and they cant grasp that hobbyists can't write down equipment to pay inflated prices for clapped out crap.

Where are you looking?
I'm not looking well not exactly. More of research and learning for the future. I would at some point in the next year or couple years like to get rid of my atlas machine that is showing it age, late 30's - early 40's, and get something "new/ new to me" that is new or really good condition. I have had the atlas for 16 years and learned a ton on it but I want something that is easier to maintain accuracy consistently. I have owned 3 old used lathes. two of them I paid $250 each and slowly cleaned them up and found or made missing pieces for. The third a friend paid $250 and then took it apart to move it home and it sat apart for a few years before he gave it to me in pieces. The newest lathe I have owned is 80 - 90 years old and they all have been quite old. I still have the atlas and the one my friend gave me.

I want to get into model engine making and want something that I can consistently achieve those levels of accuracy with. I can do it now but boy it can be frustrating and take a lot of farting around. Also would be nice to have something that is not plain bearings so I can get decent spindle speeds.

So for now it is more figuring out what exactly that next lathe will be and get an idea of cost.

When looking at new 10" bench top lathes you really only have Craftex and King, unless you are willing to ship in a Grizzly, PM or some other Chinese made machine. Sure you can still buy a new Emco, Schaublin or Weiler but it does not sound like that is what you are after. Between the two brands I think you will find similar quality, accessories and specs. Where they differ is in features. You really need to assess what you wish to do with the machine to determine which is best for you. Craftex 10x22 uses a DC motor with variable speed, this is great and convenient, However, these control speed by changing the motor speed which results in very low torque at low speed. That is OK if the parts you are making have a small diameter and require high RPM, not so great for large diameter parts requiring lower RPM. King 10x22 uses an AC motor that runs full RPM all the time and changes speed using belts. This is not as convenient, but provides full torque at low RPM. This also has the added benefit of not requiring potentially problematic electronics. Craftex has power cross feed King does not, if you foresee a lot of facing operations, this is something to consider. If threading is in your future, compare the capabilities of each and what pitches are built into each gearbox and how easy gear changes are. Some problems can be solved ie: a VFD to control speed some can not ie: adding power cross feed. My recommendation is, worry less about brand and buy the machine with the features that best suits your needs. If all else fall choose the one that is the colour you like. Remember, the market for used hobby machine is strong if you want to upgrade in the future you can always sell your lathe and upgrade.

When looking at new 10" bench top lathes you really only have Craftex and King, unless you are willing to ship in a Grizzly, PM or some other Chinese made machine. Sure you can still buy a new Emco, Schaublin or Weiler but it does not sound like that is what you are after. Between the two brands I think you will find similar quality, accessories and specs. Where they differ is in features. You really need to assess what you wish to do with the machine to determine which is best for you. Craftex 10x22 uses a DC motor with variable speed, this is great and convenient, However, these control speed by changing the motor speed which results in very low torque at low speed. That is OK if the parts you are making have a small diameter and require high RPM, not so great for large diameter parts requiring lower RPM. King 10x22 uses an AC motor that runs full RPM all the time and changes speed using belts. This is not as convenient, but provides full torque at low RPM. This also has the added benefit of not requiring potentially problematic electronics. Craftex has power cross feed King does not, if you foresee a lot of facing operations, this is something to consider. If threading is in your future, compare the capabilities of each and what pitches are built into each gearbox and how easy gear changes are. Some problems can be solved ie: a VFD to control speed some can not ie: adding power cross feed. My recommendation is, worry less about brand and buy the machine with the features that best suits your needs. If all else fall choose the one that is the colour you like. Remember, the market for used hobby machine is strong if you want to upgrade in the future you can always sell your lathe and upgrade.
Thanks those seemed to be the only 2 brands I could find new but wasn't sure if that was a result of my limited knowledge of the new machine market.

If you are willing to look at an 11 X 26, you might want to check out Modern Tool:

Also, I would not be concerned about buying from PrecisionMatthews. They appear to sell quite a few lathes into Canada and provide excellent support for their products. The exchange rate, however, makes them pretty expensive right now.

Craig

Back