• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Benefits of Wire Ferrules in the Shop

I'm thinking these ferrules might be a good idea for some of the wiring I do. For those of you using them do you pull test them after crimping? If so do they ever fail? I would like to buy a kit but would only do so if they are reliable.

For those in the know, what are the tradeoffs of the 4-way crimp (square, and the 6-way (hexagonal)? the hex tool seems to have a more limited range of wire sizes is the only difference I can see...

Crimp vs solder on stranded wire.

At a solder transition on stranded wire is the primary failure point, why no flex radius/hard transition.

Crimp provides a radius/soft transition.

So under vibration the wire does not fail.

On my CNC conversion I used ferrules for two reasons, primarily less chance of stray strands causing shorts, two secure connections.

Those are for inserting into terminal strips.

That's what I thought too.

But John was after some kind of
female version of these which let you connect one male to one female connection on a single wire

That's where I fell off the bus.

I just can't picture what it is that he is looking for.

FWIW, I don't have anything so fancy. I have always used these for adding terminations:

Screenshot_20231009_081210_Chrome.jpg

The terminals are available in hundreds of styles. They do not use solder but do improve the wire to terminal contact area and strength. The one on the right includes weather protection for high humidity environments but requires the mating female seal. A special folding crimper tool is required. Mine has a ratchet mechanism.

Your little Ironworker looks like a modern version of my 20 ton Mubea. My machine is all mechanical, and has been flawless. I picked it up for 600 bucks and the only thing I've done was to take the high speed steel cutters over to the mill and resurface them to remove the rounded edge, and greased it. Previous owner thought grease was bad cause it attracted dirt.
I like your info on current issues with screw terminals also.

One cruise ship vid I was watching said they had 4000 km of wiring in it. that's nearly coast-to-coast! That must translate into tens of thousands of connections! I've noticed that ship wiring (such as on BC Ferries) is of the highest order. Have to.
Doing a shitty job, once, sucks!

But nowhere near as much as the Suck you experience, having to re-do, and re-do, that same shitty job!

A very long time back, one of the reprobate Brethren of the "Corporal for Life" Club explained it to me in no uncertain terms. He said that if you think it is bad doing it once, how bad are you going to think it is, re-doing that job until it is right?

If you have the kind of sweat pants that have the cords and they start fraying, the ferrule crimps do a good job of alleviating the problem. Been through the wash many times.

Back