• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bending

Dennis R

Continuing the resurrection of my Canadian brand drill press. I need to make 3 of these, call them clamp arms. The first one is made and I now need to bend it to match the original. How to bend and not bugger up the piece? I tried heat and hand power in the vice set up shown but either I could not bend or the metal dowels shifted. The section to be bent is .375 and the material is just steel grabbed from my stash.

Attachments

• 20210824_134047.jpg
    20210824_134047.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210824_133659.jpg
    20210824_133659.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 9

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
you're not getting it hot enough. Red hot and it will bend with just a bit more resistance than plasticine. Don't have the bend area clamped, that makes for a heat sink. Have bend area sticking up in the air, heat to red the area where you want to bend, apply a piece of pipe or whatever, and bend will only happen where its hot. If you want to get fancy, you can even play with the radius by moving the heat along as bends, but it wont be needed for that.

francist

Super User
Ordinary propane by itself will be tough on 3/8” material. Making a small “corner” out of a few fire bricks will help greatly to bounce the heat back and you stand a better chance of getting the heat up. Three-eighths is about the limit for a regular hardware store Bernzomatic without MAPP.