• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Belts

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This hardly deserves its" own thread but I didn't want to hijack John's lathe thread where belts were being discussed.

I've always been amazed at how tiny of a belt they put on my little 10x22 lathe. It's just over 1/4" wide and there is only one of them. Even my old Atlas 618 had I think heavy 1/2" wide belt on it. I can't say I have ever had any trouble with this tiny belt and the motor will stall before it slips. They must be made better these days?
I think the worse thing about this belt is that it will be hard to find a replacement when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_1025058.jpg
    IMG_20200125_1025058.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Good observation. Years (10+) ago a fellow on my street had extensive house renos done. He added a bonus room on top of his garage and it unexpectedly impacted his ability to use his garage door opener. After modifications to the opener he needed a custom garage door belt. Now, I know these are very different than motor belts, but I was able to source one in Ontario. I remember talking to the guy on the phone and he said just what you may be observing: belts have in fact got much better over time. In addition to embedding wire in the material, others I think have nylon or maybe even stronger materials. But like tires that never seem to leak or get punctured as often as they used to, I agree with you that I seem to change belts far less than I used to. Yet they look (at least to my eye) less robust. So something has changed for the better.