Beginner machinist question??

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you're in the lower mainland MapleRidge (my old stomping grounds) here is a 1340 in Victoria. It sounds like it will need a tune up but should future proof you. Do you have the room and power for this size of machine?
I believe it to be a Taiwanese machine, not top of the line but not on the bottom either.

Nice looking lathe but I cannot get my head around why anyone would post 3 pictures all the same..... How much trouble would a few closeups or other angles have been?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There are larger ID spindle bore lathes loosely called 'gunsmith' lathes for that feature & possibly other reasons. What they typically do is incorporate a D1-5 spindle, which therefore becomes the backplate system you require to mount chucks & accessories. I haven't seen many D1-5 on smaller (say sub-13" swing) lathes, but maybe they exist. Whereas D1-4 spindles are more predominant & can be seen on smaller swing/bed lathes. So what I'm saying is the spindle itself largely controls the maximum through bore ID dimension.

14x40 D1-5 ID=2.0"

14x40 D1-4 ID=1.56"

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The
If you're in the lower mainland MapleRidge (my old stomping grounds) here is a 1340 in Victoria. It sounds like it will need a tune up but should future proof you. Do you have the room and power for this size of machine?
I believe it to be a Taiwanese machine, not top of the line but not on the bottom either.

Same machine went on auction in Edmonton for around 3600 with fees. I almost got it but someone wanted it more. Bell machinery sells them new for 13000 which I think is total overkill.

Gunguy

The

Same machine went on auction in Edmonton for around 3600 with fees. I almost got it but someone wanted it more. Bell machinery sells them new for 13000 which I think is total overkill.
As Awsome as that would be I don’t have that kind of room!!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As Awsome as that would be I don’t have that kind of room!!

I think you will find that it doesn't matter how much room you have. You will never have enough and there is no such thing as too much!

So how much room do you have?

And, can you help us a bit with what your goals are?

Gunguy

I think you will find that it doesn't matter how much room you have. You will never have enough and there is no such thing as too much!

So how much room do you have?

And, can you help us a bit with what your goals are?
As a beginner I don’t know all the ins and outs I’ve got about 100 square feet ! And I don’t have a concrete floor ! So I am really limited on size and space

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
before i built my big shop, I had a 20x20 wood floor shop. So i know how you feel. I had an Emco V10P lathe in there on a cabinet base. It was a great light lathe. If you can find one, they are very nice.

51081332576_4146657904_b.jpg

Gunguy

before i built my big shop, I had a 20x20 wood floor shop. So i know how you feel. I had an Emco V10P lathe in there on a cabinet base. It was a great light lathe. If you can find one, they are very nice.

51081332576_4146657904_b.jpg
That is a nice machine!!!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Even better would be an Emco Super 11, or a V13, which i replaced the V10P with, but good luck finding one. Emco is much better than your typical import. They are made in Austria. Vey good light machines, very accurate and smooth. Emco, with an M, not Enco.

DHHok

Which Machine to learn on Craftex cs706 or king 10x22 !! Just need some advice with the intention of gunsmithing and hobby work!
I just went through this. Although I can't help you as to which one is better suited for your needs, (because I am a complete newb myself), I can say I decided to go CX because it had variable speed and auto cross feed. Both of which the King does not have. I didn't (and don't) know if I was going to even care about those options once I start getting into it, but non-the-less, that was my deciding factor. The one big thing the King has in its favour is you can get it at KMS, and their service/warranty is top notch. Not too sure about the New Westminster Busy Bee, but I haven't heard too many good things about Busy Bee in general.
As it turns out, I ended up getting the CX709, only because I got it for the same price as the 706.

I also saw the lathe YotaBota posted, but it says it skips out of gear, and I didn't what to get into having to rip apart and rebuild something. Also, although I'm very mechanically inclined, the trouble with being a newbie is you don't know good from bad and what it would cost to fix one up.

The one thing about being in BC, is people pay stupid prices for used tools and machinery. If you decide to upgrade in a couple years, I would not be surprised if you sold it for within $500~600 of what you paid for it.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The one thing about being in BC, is people pay stupid prices for used tools and machinery. If you decide to upgrade in a couple years, I would not be surprised if you sold it for within $500~600 of what you paid for it.

Yeah I just seen that at auction at work - multiple items sold for just under new price with other multiple items selling for more then new. People do not realize that the auction fee and tax adds 1/3 to the price. Fee is 18% and tax is on top of the fee.

Fermic

Even better would be an Emco Super 11, or a V13, which i replaced the V10P with, but good luck finding one. Emco is much better than your typical import. They are made in Austria. Vey good light machines, very accurate and smooth. Emco, with an M, not Enco.

I can confirm that my first lathe is Emco Compact 8 is just straight up better than any typical import and I have gotten lucky getting it from a rarely seen listing being sold for less than 1500.
The V10P is the step-up size compared to mine, but I still search for any used metric Super 11 or V13.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 10