• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Beautiful Summer day in calgary

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes Len I forgot to mention that, good point. Heat trace might solve freezing issues since pump has to be electrified anyways. And maybe external vs internal pumps are configured different to self drain, not sure there.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
The heat trace lines can be thermostat controlled to turn on ’only’ when the temperature drops below freezing.
The other alternative would be to position it in a deep sump pit and provide adequate cover to protect it from frost. If you have enough water in a pit it will not freeze because of the geothermal energy in the deeper subsoil.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I think I found the major culprit, this downspout. I believe the best solution may be to tie it into my downspout that runs the length of the garage and dumps in the alley. When he gets back from what ever job he is on i will propose it to him, assuming he agrees when i get my buddy to put the trough on the garage overhang i will get him to help me tie that in and replace that downspout (its in pretty rough shape anyhow)

i think i will still do some sort of french drain and trench in front of the door, take care of any remaining water

IMG_20240703_192117367~2.jpg

IMG_20240703_192139859~2.jpg

pdentrem

That is unfortunate. Dad put in Big O all around the property to direct any water during the spring melt to go to the storm drain at the front of the property.
Hopefully your neighbour is understanding and will work with you on the problem.
The other way would be to modify the walls with a row of block and 2” of new concrete on the floor.
Pierre

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The other way would be to modify the walls with a row of block and 2” of new concrete on the floor.
Even though the problem of water on the floor seems to be the most severe problem, it is the garage sill plates I'm worried about.

-- I had intermittent spring flooding problems, and after mitigating them, I tore off the drywall and ensure the sill plates were still okay. Fortunately, I'm fine, but if flooding the wall is allowed over the long term, the sill plates and studs will rot and you are in serious trouble.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Even though the problem of water on the floor seems to be the most severe problem, it is the garage sill plates I'm worried about.

-- I had intermittent spring flooding problems, and after mitigating them, I tore off the drywall and ensure the sill plates were still okay. Fortunately, I'm fine, but if flooding the wall is allowed over the long term, the sill plates and studs will rot and you are in serious trouble.

Yes I already replace the sill plate, bottom 6" of every stud and lower 2ft of sheeting on the west side as well as the door sill plate, and corner of that side, I havent ripped up the drywall on the south (door wall) to check it all, but i dont believe there is any rot there, no drywall water damage

Edit: the sill was completely rotted away, I after replacing that I added a gutter, now the only water is from the door and most likely that's from the neighbors downspout