Bead Roller Stand

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I needed a stand for my new bead roller. I hate standing when using bead rollers, so when I got rid of my old one and bought a powered unit I made a heavy duty stand that is adjustable so I can sit down and bead roll. Just dialling in the unit; it's very different than my old one. Next up is a fold down table and adjustable fence for doing hems and flange work.

The pedestal is sleeved 1/4" square tube, and the base is 1/4" plate. I got the plate as an off cut from MPC but it was A516-70, not A36. I'd never plasma cut that before...it seems a little harder to cut. More dross and slower speed I thought. Also, the mill scale is a lot harder to remove. I might wait for a nice day and take it to Consolidated Compressor and sand blast it before painting.

bead1.jpg
bead2.jpg

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is cool. I guess the bead rolling pretty much has to be freehand like tracing over a felt pen line on the sheet metal stock, eh? Do you ease into it on the first pass so you could make slight smoothing path corrections, o you have to go full squish on the first pass pass & get it right? Now that I see that, I recognize so many features on FS aircraft components like bulkheads & formers that were probably made that way for stiffness & shape.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It's pretty much freehand, but you can add a fence to ensure a consistent distance from the edge each time for some processes. For example, a fence is handy for flanging (Z bends) on the edge of the sheet.

Funny you should ask the freehand question because I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have stressed over things that aren't perfect my whole life. Oddly, I find bead rolling relaxing because even things that aren't perfect still look great (at least to me). It's taught me a lot about appreciating things that are unique and imperfect, but great to look at. I used to trace transfer a lot of patterns onto metal with acetone, then bead roll them. I got away from it for a long time because it is a two man job with a manual bead roller, but is so relaxing to do freehand by yourself with a power roller. I bought a big Baldor buffer on sale about ten years ago for this stuff; it's amazing how polished a rolled sheet looks after a few mins on a powerful buffer.

You can go full squish if your motor is powerful enough, but you will also marr your work that way—especially if you are using steel dies instead of Nylatron or some softer material. Some dies will even cut through sheet if you go too deep at once. Going too fast or deep leaves no margin of error—which I hate. If you ease into it you can adjust as you go. Once your marker lines get erased in the end it's amazing how small errors are difficult to see. You may think you went way off a line, but after erasing your Sharpie lines, you often can't tell because it all looks so good. Also, by doing a slow pass without much pressure you make a path that the dies follow better each time. Good machines have variable speed petals with speed limiting pots, so once the path is established you can go faster. The trick is to count the number of rotations on the handle. That way you roll the same depth every time. I go very slow just because it's amazing how quickly you can stretch the sheet if you get carried away.

For artwork people often use an Art Roll die (very narrow) with a grooved die of a favourite size on the bottom (affects the sharpness of the groove). You do light passes and then switch to step dies to deepen the grooves and provide definition. By using softer material or even skateboard wheels (common trick) for your bottom dies, your beads transition into one another like flames—instead of crushing any previous beads you cross over. It's a true art for those who master it and great fun for people like me that just get "competent" at it. But I'm told every power roller is like a sewing machine in that each one has its own personality.

I'm looking forward to getting back into this side of metalworking, and doing some more patina work as well.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Sweet! Nice machine, stand and beads.

I have one of those cheap princess auto bead rollers I clamp in my vice. I know just enough, that I know that somebody else with a different machine (like yourself) could make some pretty cool stuff.
I've never done any artwork with mine (that's way above me) I've only beaded stuff to increase rigidity of panels and I really like it for that.
Be sure to share photos of your projects. Often times its photos of other guys' projects that keep some of us going. Thank you for that.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Nice beader, power too lucky man! What is the throat on it 18 inches?
We have the Princess Auto one as well it does the job but does need a motor on it.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Nice beader, power too lucky man! What is the throat on it 18 inches?
We have the Princess Auto one as well it does the job but does need a motor on it.
It’s a 24 inch throat. A lot of guys have the PA/Harbor Freight/Eastwood model. You can mod them to make them stiffer and add a motor to get a pretty decent machine.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes the Princess Auto bead roller has about enough stiffness to roll tin foil, however it is easy to beef up. Mine has a 18" throat.
It may be just my inexperience with bead rollers, but I can't imagine that unless you had a really good foot controlled variable speed, a motorized one would be much good. Possibly if you were doing easy straight line production work, but anything slightly complex would be a nightmare with out precise infinite speed control. Some of the contraptions Ive seen on YouTube look very poor in my opinion. Possibly a really slow motor would be ok. Those with real knowledge and expertise feel free to correct me....

Now that machine pictured above....that looks like a Cadillac.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yes the Princess Auto bead roller has about enough stiffness to roll tin foil, however it is easy to beef up. Mine has a 18" throat.
It may be just my inexperience with bead rollers, but I can't imagine that unless you had a really good foot controlled variable speed, a motorized one would be much good. Possibly if you were doing easy straight line production work, but anything slightly complex would be a nightmare with out precise infinite speed control. Some of the contraptions Ive seen on YouTube look very poor in my opinion. Possibly a really slow motor would be ok. Those with real knowledge and expertise feel free to correct me....

Now that machine pictured above....that looks like a Cadillac.
You're right about variable speed. If you are doing repetitive production work with a fence, you could get by without VS. But most guys who do that sort of stuff use a dedicated flange roller/rotary machine, which is like a stubby version of a bead roller with maybe a 6" throat. They typically aren't used for artistic stuff.

Oh and for the record, the Lazze machines are the Cadillacs. His 2nd gen machine sells for a whopping 7K $US (OK, he says "only" 7K). That's crazy. I saw one once. While beautiful, I don't see where the extra value is. All his stuff is super pricey. I'm thinking his dies must be made from a gold alloy and the depth adjustment handle from unicorn horn or something.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I just looked at Lazze and through it looks great I fail to see value as well. Unless it includes gold or some unicorn. If someone got control of a factory in China and ordered premium stuff not the usual crap pp from NA order there b/c well... we all assume China has to be inferior, then it would easily match or surpass Lazze in every way shape and form. If one does not trust Chinese to cut dies properly they can be made in Japan or... Switzerland. 7k USD is a lot of money for such a small machine... imagine that for a bit more you can get either a small car or Taiwan made clone of a B-port. This set is 2/3 of the price of a new Toyota SUV - https://www.lazzemetalshaping.com/i...oduct_id=66/category_id=3/mode=prod/prd66.htm

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I just looked at Lazze and through it looks great I fail to see value as well. Unless it includes gold or some unicorn. If someone got control of a factory in China and ordered premium stuff not the usual crap pp from NA order there b/c well... we all assume China has to be inferior, then it would easily match or surpass Lazze in every way shape and form. If one does not trust Chinese to cut dies properly they can be made in Japan or... Switzerland. 7k USD is a lot of money for such a small machine... imagine that for a bit more you can get either a small car or Taiwan made clone of a B-port. This set is 2/3 of the price of a new Toyota SUV - https://www.lazzemetalshaping.com/i...oduct_id=66/category_id=3/mode=prod/prd66.htm
Yeah, I completely agree with that. We love to slam China, but the fact is they produce at a price point people want. If we were willing to pay more money, then they would happily produce better (or any) quality we asked for. People forget that supply and demand works for quality, not just quantity. Those of us old enough remember Japanese made cars in the 1970s and their quality issues—but look at them now.

Sadly the playing field gets uneven quickly when we factor in trade unions, human rights, safety, environmental considerations and things like trade tariffs. All of which have a huge impact on competitive manufacturing.

I wonder what impact disruptive technologies like 3D metal printing will have on markets once it matures?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Oh and for the record, the Lazze machines are the Cadillacs. His 2nd gen machine sells for a whopping 7K $US (OK, he says "only" 7K).
I wonder how much of that is name and prestige.... Yes no doubt there is really good quality and features but is it like a Stradivarius violin?... a good musician can play just as nice music on a lesser violin but maybe there is something about the experience using the tool/instrument that is worth the crazy money? I know even less about violins than bead rollers...I'm just trying to figure out why people would pay so damn much for some stuff. I guess I should stick to playing the radio and with cheap Asian machinery....I ain't ever going to produce beautiful "music"

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I wonder how much of that is name and prestige.... Yes no doubt there is really good quality and features but is it like a Stradivarius violin?... a good musician can play just as nice music on a lesser violin but maybe there is something about the experience using the tool/instrument that is worth the crazy money? I know even less about violins than bead rollers...I'm just trying to figure out why people would pay so damn much for some stuff. I guess I should stick to playing the radio and with cheap Asian machinery....I ain't ever going to produce beautiful "music"
There IS something to that, a $150 Snap On ratchet is a lot nicer to use than a $15 one from Canadian Tire

But it doesn’t make me a better mechanic

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Not all Snap on products are better then cheap China - Snap on 1/2" breaker bar failed before 1/2" breaker bar from China purchased at Harbor Freight did. Certainly even if they are better the difference is tiny, not necessitating 10x rise in price for 99.999% of use. If you are going to take a wrench to the space station you would not mind paying $1000 for one that is 10% stronger but 10% lighter then say HF. Same thing with violin - for expert musician in a great hall it makes sense - even 1% better performance for 10x price increase does. But not for 99.999% of users.

Of course neither Snap On nor Stradivarius would survive on 0.01% market share of pp where it makes sense - so a lot of brand prestige keeps them afloat. Thus one could make better machine then Lazze for say 1/3 of the price but luck of brand recognition would make it a hard sell. Brands are valuable thing.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've never understood Snap-On's distribution model and why I can't buy from anywhere but their trucks...which is why I never tried their tools.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that I can't stomach a 6" ruler for $27.60:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Now image you can pay far less for a ruler and get... a better tool. Reviews of electronic stuff from Snap On by Awe online on youtube show regular store brands like DeWalt and Milwakee are all over Snap On - in both utility and build quality not to mention price.

I have few Snap On things I got from garage sales and tool lots. I honestly don't see any difference between them and not total POS stuff. I.e. a wrench at Princess Auto is the same quality as Snap On. Better premium sockets (i.e. not laser etched) are the same as Snap On. As far as ratchets, a premium ratchet from Princess Auto is same as my Snap On. Basically anything that is not ultra cheap POS is same or better.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I've never understood Snap-On's distribution model and why I can't buy from anywhere but their trucks...which is why I never tried their tools.

Oh yeah, that and the fact that I can't stomach a 6" ruler for $27.60:

You can order from their website, delivered to your door

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Online. I looked at a couple of distributors I've dealt with before, but they all take a lift on the price. It's bad enough with shipping and taxes as is.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member