• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BB Surface Plate on Sale

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
In case anyone from BB frequents this forum, since BB closed the Vancouver store I have not bought anything from BB. Grizzly is a lot easier to deal with, about an hour drive away from me. Prior to BB closing, I likely spent tens of thousands of dollars there over the last 30 years. Purchases have included B2227 lathe, CT129 mill, older version of CX615 lathe/mill combo, CX605 mill, 8x25 mill drill. Many, many pieces of sheet metal gear, plus dozens of accessories and hundreds of lathe bits, milling cutters, and saw blades.

I guess Vancouver market is too small to support BB?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I have not purchased anything at BB in at least 5 years. I don't even know if there is one in Calgary anymore.
BUT, I think about 7 or 8 years ago I got that surface plate from BB! It was $50 CAD.

I know that the original owner was from BC, son that now runs the business is in Toronto. Within an hour and a half driving I have access to 4 locations, within 20 mins 2 locations which includes HO.

Side note, Grizzly owner also from BC (younger brother to BB), son also runs it now.

cjmac

I have not purchased anything at BB in at least 5 years. I don't even know if there is one in Calgary anymore.
BUT, I think about 7 or 8 years ago I got that surface plate from BB! It was $50 CAD.
I bought two BB surface plates from BB in Vancouver, maybe 15 years ago. I'm thinking I paid $40 each. Maybe even a little less.

Chris

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought that same granite plate probably 7 years ago from BB. It is my go to for set-up work and general measuring. +/- 0.0001” accuracy over the whole surface it plenty good enough for most work I do.

rodm1

What are you guy's using for a cover? I need too get something. That is a good deal even with shipping.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
For $10 more they'll sell you cert saying whatever you want it to say :D. Ok, that was a bit mean, but I've had some real doozies from them.

For a cover, I just use a piece of 3/4 plywood. Most of the time, the plate with cover is added work bench area

Last edited:
Soft pad between surface of plate, hard protect on top.

I clean mine with Ammonia prior to each use (little dab and towel) is all thats needed as it removes dust and any other oil or contaminants that migrate to the surface. Final clean is with your hand as they have just enough oil to pick up any left over dust.

Small plates nice and easy (subjectively) to store and keep safe.

Big Plates (mine is approx 500lbs) stay in one place and you keep them safe.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Just got off the phone w/ the Calgary store. No stock, but 4 coming in next week, I put a deposit down on the last one.