Battery for digital ID micrometer

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I decided to buy an electronic inside mic from Ali. From what I can tell, its a lower priced ringer for Shars. Delivery was fine & arrived without battery which they state in the description.
But they say battery is LR44 1.5v. I have some of those but they are much smaller diameter & thicker than the cavity The instructions are Chinese, zero English, so I cant corroborate. Strangely. Shars does not mention either. I don't want to put a larger diameter button cells in because they are generally 3v. Anybody here read Chinese if I post the instructions? I sent in a question but I think its their New Year break. Sheesh. Are there other dimensional formats of LR44?

1707596851667.png
1707596921868.png
1707596939234.png

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Get the Google translate app on your phone and it will use the phone camera to read the text and translate.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Google says direct replacements for LR44 would be Duracell 76A, Energizer A76, and AG13 batteries. These batteries are exact equivalents for the LR44 battery, the only difference being the name. These batteries can all be interchanged.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes it says A76,V13GA on the card of my LR44 as an equivalent, but as you can see by pic, the battery is much smaller diameter than the cavity & I believe LR44 is thicker as well.

@David_R8 I'll try a translator

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
This chart lists the coin cell dimensions if you can measure the hole. The only one larger in diameter is the L1560
1e1jjjirm6361.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Downloaded Google translate. It said 3V CR2032 battery, when battery is lower than 2.8v replace it.
Stuck in a CR2032, the digits came on & no magic smoke.... so far
Surely I can't be the first guy to stumble on this?
If I get a response I'll post but I think I'm good to go. Thanks David!

1707600477634.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Most tools like that use LR44s and LR44s are Alkaline. I prefer comparable (same voltage) lithium.

Glad you got the right size sorted out.

mbond

Premium Member
Most tools like that use LR44s and LR44s are Alkaline. I prefer comparable (same voltage) lithium.

Glad you got the right size sorted out.
I admit that I don't know as much as I might like about battery chemistry, but is there a reason to avoid Alkaline?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I didn't think there were many lithium equivalents to SR 44 but maybe @Susquatch has investigated further. Lithium is typically nominal 3v basis not 1.25-1.5 but maybe these button cells are a different exception. I don't like old school alkaline because they have a tendency to puke their innards over time. Some lower quality electronics <cough> like Chinese measurement devices, have a tendency of current draw even when 'off'' & deplete the cell into these conditions. Lithium generally has better capacity & discharge metrics over other chemistry, but that may not be a factor on low demand devices. I'm talking non-recharchable cells here. Chargeable cells is a different game again.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The biggest single reason is what I call battery rot. When a cell goes dead undetected they can leak and ruin the equipment they are in. There are so called leak proof alkalines (the eveready ones with the nike swoosh), but I've had a few of those go too. So I prefer to avoid alkaline totally except for cheap equipment. I buy the Eveready by the carton for that. My good stuff all get lithium or long life batteries. If I do put alkalines in something like Flashlights, I remove the batteries and set them down beside the equipment, and only install them when in use.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I didn't think there were many lithium equivalents to SR 44 but maybe @Susquatch has investigated further.

I don't think there is lithium replacement for the lr44 either. I thought I had said lithium or long life but apparently I only mentioned lithium - my bad. For the lr44 family, I use a 357 which I believe is silver oxide. Costs more but doesn't leak.

There are lots of lithium replacements for AA, AAA, and even AAAA which are all 1.5V so it isn't a chemistry limitation. It's just that there aren't any LR44 lithiums that I know of. If there were I would use them over silver oxide for the extra life.