• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bandsaw table

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mine is metric and I cannot find a metric screw with a flat top anywhere that I have looked. I have not gone to the bolt supply places as of yet since they are not open in Regina except during the same hours that I work.

I've been really happy with this ebay seller for metric fasteners, black oxide or SS. The shipping cost is for first item, it doesn't seem to increase as I add other sizes. Delivery seems pretty consistent around 3 weeks, so not Ok as long as you are not in a rush.
https://www.ebay.ca/str/regansstore....html?_storecat=10941808015&_bkw=m6+flat+head

I wish Spanaeur would hire McMaster Carr's website programmer, would make ordering a whole lot easier. Maybe I'm missing something - do you guys send in for a quote? I don't see prices listed.

1614647255937.png

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And on the cover of home shop machinist this month.......

bdcc26f52e4aad439de40568b9803607.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha ha I just went "What?!" I just got my copy last month and I had to go check....nope I get the "Machinists Workshop" a sister publication. Well I feel better that I'm not totally loosing all my marbles. I'm okay that I get the title of the magazine confused but to think I had no recollection of the issue was a little disturbing.

John Conroy

Premium Member
My saw has 1/4" 20 threads in the blade ghides bit some of the other fasteners are metric. I think the screws came from Home Depot but I have some M6 flat head countersunk cap screws I got from the Bolt Supply House

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@John Conroy where did you find the robertson screws to fit you bandsaw? Or is yours imperial thread? Mine is metric and I cannot find a metric screw with a flat top anywhere that I have looked. I have not gone to the bolt supply places as of yet since they are not open in Regina except during the same hours that I work.

What size screws are they? I bought a box a couple of years ago of flathead metrics but not robertson.....M8x1.25x30 mm...will that work? I could send you some.

Attachments

• M8x125x30mm.jpg
    M8x125x30mm.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not that it really matters but looks like John's screws are Philips not Robertson. Some of the deeper # Robertson have a wider center that may have that appearance. You might find Robertson in imperial screws or 'combination' screws, but Robertson is not common in metric. They favor Philips, hex & increasingly Torx.

1614661512516.png

Chipper5783

@Hruul Another great resource for hardware and lots of other shop hardware is Fastenal. I like their secure afterhours pick up. They have a minimum order fee - but it is pretty low (add one box of conventional hardware and you'd make the limit).

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I tried to reorder my Prussian Blue from the Fastenal 32 Ave NE store, and was told they only allow purchases from large accounts. Getting the bums rush when I have been doing business with them for 35 years was, frankly, an insult.

I got word to the district manager through one of his friends, and he apologized but said he doesn't interfere with individual branches. sheesh.

So I go anywhere else nowadays.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I tried to reorder my Prussian Blue from the Fastenal 32 Ave NE store, and was told they only allow purchases from large accounts. Getting the bums rush when I have been doing business with them for 35 years was, frankly, an insult.

I got word to the district manager through one of his friends, and he apologized but said he doesn't interfere with individual branches. sheesh.

So I go anywhere else nowadays.

My rant with Fastenal in Moose Jaw is they are useless unless you purchase in bag quantity usually of 50-100. They are only interested in supplying industry and bulk purchase operations. So go stuff it Fastenal just like the Ostrich.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
What size screws are they? I bought a box a couple of years ago of flathead metrics but not robertson.....M8x1.25x30 mm...will that work? I could send you some.
Thanks @ShawnR, unfortunately they are M6. I will look around at some of the other specialty suppliers in town and see what I can find. The ones I have work, but they are getting worn.

Hacker

Super User
I meant to do this thread as a project being worked on but it kind of happened fast. It is pretty simple. I was using the bandsaw in vertical a few weeks ago and the table is crappy. I briefly considered other options and then moved on....

Stumbled across Winky's workshop last week and liked this. I don't know why the "Part 3" shows up. It is a complete video in under 8 minutes. Must be part of another series.

And I got to use up some stock. I think it will be handy. Usually when I need to work vertically, I work on the little 2 inch square "table" that is there from the horizontal position. o_O

Hopefully, this makes me safer too...

Great idea, nice and solid. I think you could easily modify that design so it would tilt.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
etting the bums rush when I have been doing business with them for 35 years was, frankly, an insult.

Dabbler, I can sympathize. About 10 years ago, I ordered 4 pieces of keyed shafting from Fastenal, plus some motor shims (maybe about $200 worth). It came from all over the US in 4 shipments, each tracked perfectly and I picked it up 2 minutes from work..... Excellent service.

I went in to the store on 32nd about 4 months ago and didn't make it 20 feet when they said that if I didn't have a corporate account they weren't going to see to me.

Sad to see the decline in service..... Shop local..... damnit we're trying!

Chipper5783

Fastenal? I'll just be thankful that the Red Deer store gives great service. I've done about 5 orders of ~$50 in the past 3 months, often with small numbers of items, often items that need to be ordered in, all "cash sale", which means Visa card - no problem. Perhaps, as shared earlier it is up to the branch management? I'm grateful because the are very close by where I live and it is really convenient.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Fastenal in Barrie to me is like Richelieu is to @CalgaryPT, no time at all for them.

Overall I am not a fan of the “big corporation” purchases only that some companies do. I have purchased thousands of dollars from supply places and if I cannot buy a small item or they give me grief - see ya later - I will buy it from the states