• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bandsaw table

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I meant to do this thread as a project being worked on but it kind of happened fast. It is pretty simple. I was using the bandsaw in vertical a few weeks ago and the table is crappy. I briefly considered other options and then moved on....

Stumbled across Winky's workshop last week and liked this. I don't know why the "Part 3" shows up. It is a complete video in under 8 minutes. Must be part of another series.

And I got to use up some stock. I think it will be handy. Usually when I need to work vertically, I work on the little 2 inch square "table" that is there from the horizontal position. o_O

Hopefully, this makes me safer too...

Attachments

• 20210226_164942.jpg
    20210226_164942.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210226_175401.jpg
    20210226_175401.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210227_085950.jpg
    20210227_085950.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210227_091449.jpg
    20210227_091449.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210301_114057.jpg
    20210301_114057.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210301_114104.jpg
    20210301_114104.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 23

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey yours looks good. I've been toying with the idea also just recently and Winky's video brought that notion back up.
I believe a few members here have modified their vertical table as well....maybe @John Conroy ? I think there was a thread with pics on it.....I will have to go look that up before deciding about mine.

John Conroy

Premium Member
That looks a lot more solid than the one I made. I just removed the little plate on the rear blade guide. When I want to go vertical I mount a 12" X 12" X 3/8" square plate using the same two 1/4-20 threaded holes in the blade guide. It has been solid enough so far but I haven't cut anything heavy on it.

I milled a slot in it for a miter guide.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I had mine setup like that but had issues with 'movement' in both my table and w/the saw itself. If you snag/bind there can be a lot of force acting on all pieces and on a couple of occasions I came very close to leaving minus a digit, so I tossed the stock table, my custom table and waited for a better setup to seed itself in my brain. Too unstable for me.

I went with a custom mount that isn't much more that what is picture, it just seem to work better for me (as well I wanted a table that could tilt 45 degrees.) I wanted something whereby I could bolt my saw in place and have little/no pivot.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Yeah I'm not thrilled with the lack of support on my set up. I like the idea of being able to tilt the table also. I think another approach is in order for me. Do you have any pics of your Kevin?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How are the saws to cut metal with in a vertical position? What sort of thickness of steel can be safely cut? Do you use a different pitch blade when vertically cutting ? I have s 10/14 vp blade in my saw now but have never attempted vertical cutting with thin stock....I'm worried that might be too coarse?

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tilt would be nice. I liked the project and a big step up from the thin included one. Time will tell for me if it was time well spent.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
How are the saws to cut metal with in a vertical position? What sort of thickness of steel can be safely cut? Do you use a different pitch blade when vertically cutting ? I have s 10/14 vp blade in my saw now but have never attempted vertical cutting with thin stock....I'm worried that might be too coarse?

I read somewhere that you are supposed to have at least two teeth on the metal you are cutting....? So it might be a good idea to change blades when working with sheet metal. I think I run a 14-18 tooth blade. I cut everything from .100 tube to, well, today, 1.375 rod. I am not saying that is right, just what I do.

I bought a new bimetal blade a couple weeks ago, and today, loaded a waaaay too hard shaft into the band saw. It took me a minute or so to realize I was only burnishing the shaft....so back to the bandsaw blade store I guess....:rolleyes: It seemed to cut a piece of non hardened shaft after but the teeth look a little less sharp.

Working on the bandsaw, I realized too that I there are 3 step pulleys under the motor belt cover. The belt was on the middle one. Anyone switch theirs around or prefer one or the other? I have not done any research into this yet like corresponding belts to band speed to sfpm. Since we are discussing bandsaws, thought I would ask.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have cut thin sheet metal with a 10/14 blade and it works fine. You can feed it into the blade with much more control than when cutting horizontally.

Tilting the blade along the blade axis would allow compound angle cuts. Something like this.

20180902_120010.jpg

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
bought a new bimetal blade a couple weeks ago, and today, loaded a waaaay too hard shaft into the band saw. It took me a minute or so to realize I was only burnishing the shaft....so back to the bandsaw blade store I guess....:rolleyes: It seemed to cut a piece of non hardened shaft after but the teeth look a little less sharp.
So you might already be aware of this but....there are break in procedures a fellow is supposed to do with a new blade. I didn't exactly follow them to a tee myself but did take the first half a dozen or so cuts really easy. My blade seems to be holding up well but I don't cut much light stuff with it.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
I just finished making this small table for cutting vertically on my bandsaw. Seems more stable then the sheet metal one that came with it and should work well for quick vertical cuts, which is what I designed it for. The best part is it was scrap and I don't have to remove it to cut normally. If I have too cut something heavier than I will have to make another one. Might try and make it fit around this one and maybe bolt to this one so it will be easier to install. The hole is from the scrap pieces earlier life. bandsaw 1.jpg

Attachments

• bandsaw 2.jpg
    bandsaw 2.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 9

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
@John Conroy where did you find the robertson screws to fit you bandsaw? Or is yours imperial thread? Mine is metric and I cannot find a metric screw with a flat top anywhere that I have looked. I have not gone to the bolt supply places as of yet since they are not open in Regina except during the same hours that I work.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
And on the cover of home shop machinist this month.......

bdcc26f52e4aad439de40568b9803607.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk