• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

bambu printer?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi,
I've been looking at the Bambu printer that has shaken up the market. This part (details here) is a 3.5 hour print on the Prusa MK3. It is about 3x3x2". On the bambu the slicer says 1 hour 8 minutes with default settings. Anyone else looking at this printer?
J

1665976378345.png

1665976330132.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
There are some Voron builds out there that are pretty impressive, and can be done cheaper than the $1800 bamboo, but....you have to build it. The Bamboo is, from some youtube reviews, pretty good (and fast), but its cloud based proprietary software etc is offputing to me. For some it wouldn't matter, though.

I want to build a Voron someday with multi filament support, and a 350cubed build volume.

JReimer

I hadn't heard of the Bambu printer. It looks really good in there marketing and would love to try one. I always worry about longevity of these new products. You can get an amazing machine but who knows if the company will be around when you need to fix or upkeep the machine. We use Ultimaker's and DittoPro's at a local STEM Academy I mentor at. It takes a lot of abuse with all the kids printing to it so being able to bring the printers to a local shop to get them serviced and warn parts relaced is really handy. Not necessarily a home hobbyist concern just to keep in mind. A little off topic enjoyment - Ultimaker and Makerbot joined companies to become UltiMaker (they took the first parts of each of their name to make the new company name :)).

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Its quite a bit less filament (grams) in the model in the bamboo screen shot...are they set at the same infill percentage?

I agree with Dan, proprietary cloud software = avoid.....else you'll get bamboozled! :)

From me, increased resolution is of interest. Print time? Meh, I set and do other stuff (like sleep, go to work, machine) come back when done so would n't be huge improvement in work flow for me

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I double checked various settings and yes Mcgyver you were right they were not exactly the same. After I better aligned the two the times are now:
Bambu: 1h:19m and 20metres of filament
Prusa: 4h:23m and 21.5m of filament

Yes the prusa is even slower. I had the Prusa set to a 0.6mm nozzle in the first example. I can't explain why the amount of filament is a bit more with the prusa but that does explain some of the slower performance - it's doing more printing. The perimeters and infill pattern are the same.

So do I want to wait for the bambu or wait even more for the Prusa XL? The prusa XL will be a lot more money.

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
So do I want to wait for the bambu or wait even more for the Prusa XL? The prusa XL will be a lot more money.

wow, the Prusa got slower! So if everything is the same resolution and close to the same qty of plastic, its the linear speed?

as for your Q, only you can answer that. For me, 4x the speed wouldn't make much of dent in my resolve to avoid cloud based applications where ever possible. Why? Can be slow, they can go out of business, start charging for it, advertise, push their materials, declare it "obsolete" and drop it, etc.....I have no reason to trust my future happiness with the machine with a strangers in the software business.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I think the linear speed and acceleration is the main difference in the time difference. I saw similar results test slicing the benchy boat for the two printers.

> avoid cloud based applications

I see your general point Mcgyver about cloud apps. But for the bambu I've downloaded their slicer. It's an app - it does not seem to use cloud. I just now turned off the network, launched the app, sliced, and exported a .gcode export file. I don't have a printer to complete the test but seems ok - no cloud required.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm no where near ready to jump on the bambu bandwagon -- however you can always use sneakernet and use the SD slot.

The local networking was supposed to be fixed to transfer gcode files to the printer locally. Early reviewers found the wifi didn't work properly for local networks, but at least one reviewer got it to work. so, fixed *maybe*?

the level of integration does make me nervous, but this is what has to happen to make 3DP available to the masses.