• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Ball Turner Drive System

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was exchanging thoughts earlier with @PaulL and musing about how so many of us spend so much time make tools for our tools. I figured I'd create my own thread rather than hi-Jack his

As I write this I'm trying to figure out a cool way to make a 3/8 or 1/2 inch square drive for my ball turner. The drive that it came with was designed for a lantern style tool post. It does work on my BXA, but it is a knuckle scraper because it's too close to my tool post and compound. I'm thinking I'd rather use an extension bar and T-Handle or a ratchet wrench to turn the turner.

My thoughts right now are to grind an old socket to replace the original driver. But that feels a little too crude. So I'm just sittin here thinkin on it till sumthin jumps out at me....... Reading everyone's posts is sorta inspirational. I'm really at the beginning of this little project so I'm wide open to ideas and suggestions - no matter how wild they might be. It's a wide open book.

Here is what I have:

20220913_191700.jpg 20220913_191714.jpg

I took the photos out in the shop but im in the house now and the shop is locked up. So you will just have to imagine a manual crank type affair at the end of the shaft for now. I'll try and take a photo of the crank and add it here tomorrow.

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My only issue with it is whether you can get enough feel through that handle. Or perhaps that feel isn't needed?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
My only issue with it is whether you can get enough feel through that handle. Or perhaps that feel isn't needed?

I dunno John. I've never used a ball turner before. I don't know if feel is important! Guess I'll find out!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Is it the pic or is the two mating surfaces tapered for fit? Yours seems to look like a worm drive which if it is will remove any jerkiness you will still have feel because of the cutting pressure on the tool. If you don’t like the stock one a piece of round that is squared for a socket maybe?