• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Back Yard Hot Molten Metal Guy

Tuner

Hi YYCHM --- saved all my Toys and Toy money to just do the retirement time in peace!

Metal Head Side:
Southbend Heavy 10" (all the toys)
Bridgeport Mill (all the toys)
9" Prema Shaper - Sweden
48" Sheet metal bending
etc..

Wood Bandsaw Rockwell
Rojek 5 in 1 Wood Center
Rockwell Uniplanner
Rockwell Radial Drill press
Oneway Wood Lathe
Mig - Tig - arc
Lost Wax
etc

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to the gang from Ontario. Looks to me like you have your future all planned out. I'm jealous! You will enjoy the forum. Have fun!

Tuner

Tom O: When you cast iron where do you get the Ferro Silicon from and do you add sawdust or coal dust to the sand?

As one knows Wood dust, Coal dust/charcoal dust is use in cast iron to stop Green sand from melting on to the casting. Spray the sand mold with Graphite. Put a handful of limestone gravel on top of the scrap cast iron in the crucible. Too up the carbon in the charge have put Crushed BBQ Bricks, Coal and wood dust in the Charge - big wood handle to stir - getting the cast Iron up to super Heat as well. The pot is just like a sparkler.

i see that one can now get small amounts of Ferrosilicon alloy on FleeBay.
Ferrosilicon alloy

Pictures of my Shop from years ago Sand Fluffer - Furnace - Moulding Bench

Last edited:

Jean_fallah

Been casting for about 15 years - Petrobond - Green Sand - lost wax, big to small - Aluminum - Bronze - Cast Iron - silver - gold. Location Calgary
Welcome from Calgary Tuner! Are you looking to take on any gold casting projects? Have some jewelry that would like to be casted!

Tuner

Welcome from Calgary Tuner! Are you looking to take on any gold casting projects? Have some jewelry that would like to be casted!
Sorry, but I’m behind in my own projects at this time…years ago I studied at ACAD now Alberta University of the Arts - touch base with them an advance Starving Student can be found.

Last edited: