B&S #7 dead center build

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Hi guys, I am considering making a dead center for my grinder due to difficulty sourcing a used or reasonably priced new unit. I think that I have the process figured out with the machinery I have, but am wondering about hardening the tip. I have never hardened steel before but I think it would be necessary for a dead center, wouldn't it?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
@YYCHM thanks for the reply. My plan is to rough cut the taper and point on the lathe then finish it in the grinder. Is that what you did? I am trying to figure out the order of operations . My lathe has no taper attachment but I may be able to just use the compound as long as the cut isn't too long. can I ask how you made yours? If anybody else wants to chime in I am all ears!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@YYCHM thanks for the reply. My plan is to rough cut the taper and point on the lathe then finish it in the grinder. Is that what you did? I am trying to figure out the order of operations . My lathe has no taper attachment but I may be able to just use the compound as long as the cut isn't too long. can I ask how you made yours? If anybody else wants to chime in I am all ears!

I've only ever dealt with Morris Tapers, MT2 and MT3. My 9" Utilathe has a taper attachment. I made MT2 tapers on my mini-lathe using the offset tailstock method. I don't have a grinder, so every thing was as turned.

Looks like a B&S #7 taper has a OAL of 2.88". Does your compound have 3" of travel? I know mine doesn't.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
My lathe is a 12x36 Busy Bee. Going to be a bit of a stretch but I'll see. This would be the first taper of any length I've ever cut.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You dont need to use the full length. Just make the taper whatever length your compound can handle.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Good point susquatch . So getting down to the nitty gritty, the taper is 1/2 in. in a foot. If I want to cut a 3" long taper, do I offset the tail stock 1/4 of .500 in. = 1/8 in. ?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
just thinking....the small end of the taper is .600 so I would start the taper from there,right? oops, I may be wrong in my tailstock setting

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Good point susquatch . So getting down to the nitty gritty, the taper is 1/2 in. in a foot. If I want to cut a 3" long taper, do I offset the tail stock 1/4 of .500 in. = 1/8 in. ?

It ain't that easy. To cut a taper using the tail stock offset method, you need to take into account the length of the raw stock as presented between centers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I hate offsetting my tailstock. It's way to much work to get it back on center. Therefore, I wouldn't cut it by offsetting the tailstock. I'd use an indicator to set the angle on my compound.

I'm pretty rusty here, but this is assuming that the piece is cut exactly to length, then, yes, that sounds right to me.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Yes Craig, I have one. And as I was thinking about this I was going to ask if I make the offset according to the length of taper or the length of stock. I need to do research!! @Susquatch ,Offsetting my tailstock is not my idea of fun either. I may approach this from another angle. ( get it? )

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
@140mower ,me too. I took a short community college course in metal lathe but that was a looonnng time ago. I remember the instructor covering this but.....

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I think my calculations are wrong. to cut the taper I should offset the TS 1/2 of the taper per foot. My head is starting to hurt.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is a problem. A lot of tapers are listed as the entire included angle. Some are just per side. This just bit me a week ago when I was making a grinding wheel abour. User beware I guess.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The B&S #7 is 0.5015" taper/foot. Which is 0.0418" taper per inch. Divide this by 2, therefore, 0.021" per inch.

Put the round stock between centers. You need two dial indicators (unless you have a DRO). The one indicator will measure your z-axis travel (position it on the bed with the point on the carriage), and the 2nd indicator on your tool post to measure the x-axis with the point on the round stock. Offset your tailstock until a movement of 1.000" in the z-axis, shows a 0.021" movement on your x-axis indicator.