• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

AXA tool holders

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Very nice, I like those. I like the ease at which they can be moved around too, to suit new additions and alterations to tool storage.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I don't have a printer. But a buddy does.
He made me a few tool holders and they are amazing. Just wanted to share. Thingiverse is a place of rabbit hole wonders...
Those are really nice racks for light duty holders. About the only thing I'd have considered differently is to give them a slight angle so there would be less chance of the holder vibrating off the rack if I had a row of these mounted on a board on my splashguard

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I'm interested too. Did you ever post the link?
If you want something customized just for you let me know. I'd be happy to oblige. Or perhaps talk you into something a little better.

Tom was pestering me to get printing 25 holders for his dickson tool holders. I had to point out the weight of what he wanted to mount to his splashguard.

I suggested something like this for his numerous holders

27410433008_1231e30802_k.jpg

27410431618_9b7c0e2138_k.jpg

Attachments

• 41283092381_30bdc10ad3_k.jpg
    41283092381_30bdc10ad3_k.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 6

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If you want something customized just for you let me know. I'd be happy to oblige. Or perhaps talk you into something a little better.

Right now I'm only collecting ideas to build on. I have no clear preferences and could easily be talked into something else.

My first priority is to learn Fusion. I used it again last night and got very little accomplished. It's particularly frustrating to me given how much I used CAE throughout my career. As you know, I hate YouTube, so I bought a book and I'm slowly wading through it. Very slowly.....

My next priority is a good 3D printer. I had hoped to talk my bride into getting me one for my birthday, but at the rate I'm going with Fusion it would sit for a year and be obsolete before I got to use it. So that will wait another year - or maybe till Christmas. We will see.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I suggested something like this for his numerous holders

You prolly remember my tool holder rack. I don't have 3D capabities so I'm a lot like @thestelster. I use wood for prototyping and tool storage.

This is sturdy and works really well. A piece of paper towel serves as an excellent way to keep things from sliding off. Someday I might glue on a railing.

I started with a small set of tool holders, but Kijiji and a few great sales have turned me into what some on here might call a tool holder hoarder. They can all pound salt. I like all my holders! More importantly, I won't hesitate to buy more at the right price.

20230324_155927.jpg

Proxule

Ultra Member
Right now I'm only collecting ideas to build on. I have no clear preferences and could easily be talked into something else.

My first priority is to learn Fusion. I used it again last night and got very little accomplished. It's particularly frustrating to me given how much I used CAE throughout my career. As you know, I hate YouTube, so I bought a book and I'm slowly wading through it. Very slowly.....

My next priority is a good 3D printer. I had hoped to talk my bride into getting me one for my birthday, but at the rate I'm going with Fusion it would sit for a year and be obsolete before I got to use it. So that will wait another year - or maybe till Christmas. We will see.
I am too stupid to learn fusion, I gave up after several attempts.
I just bought a 3d printer so these ideas help!
I did how ever manage to learn how operate tinkercad https://www.tinkercad.com/
Online dummy style CAD for 3dprinting with easy to adjust shapes and ideas.

gluck on your journey.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You prolly remember my tool holder rack. I don't have 3D capabities so I'm a lot like @thestelster. I use wood for prototyping and tool storage.

This is sturdy and works really well. A piece of paper towel serves as an excellent way to keep things from sliding off. Someday I might glue on a railing.

I started with a small set of tool holders, but Kijiji and a few great sales have turned me into what some on here might call a tool holder hoarder. They can all pound salt. I like all my holders! More importantly, I won't hesitate to buy more at the right price.

View attachment 32714
Tom has more than you ;)

I'd like 30. It seems like a nice round number, and I can fit them all on a rack on my lathe. I'm going to have to make them though

Blouin55

Michel
I don't have a printer. But a buddy does.
He made me a few tool holders and they are amazing. Just wanted to share. Thingiverse is a place of rabbit hole wonders...

I am too stupid to learn fusion, I gave up after several attempts.
I just bought a 3d printer so these ideas help!
I did how ever manage to learn how operate tinkercad https://www.tinkercad.com/
Online dummy style CAD for 3dprinting with easy to adjust shapes and ideas.

gluck on your journey.
I use Freecad...

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Alright. So I printed a couple of these. One on the old Cartesian and one on the POS Delta. \
It's clear that to do the open long strings without support requires a fan blowing on the filament which the POS doesn't have. I printed the yellow POS version on a raft since it's not a glass build plate but just masking tape. Used a brim for the glass plate.
Overall though the quality, other than that, is pretty much the same. I'm surprised that one side has a thicker wall than the other. And the AXA tool holders fit pretty loosely.
For the moment I'll keep my holders in the drawer under the lathe.

Attachments

• AXA_Holders-Bot.jpg
    AXA_Holders-Bot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • AXA_Holders-Top.jpg
    AXA_Holders-Top.jpg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 7

KeeponDragon

Super User
Hey folks, sorry for the lack of responses lol...life!
I msgd buddy, so I'll get that file posted.
@jcdammeyer, I bet that is the same file. One wall is thicker on mine as well.
I'd left him a holder to test fit, and he said the first one came out loose.
Don't recall how, but he played with some settings managed to upsize one or two dimensions.
I ended up having to shave mine down just a tickle to get a snug fit.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@jcdammeyer, I bet that is the same file. One wall is thicker on mine as well.
I'd left him a holder to test fit, and he said the first one came out loose.
Don't recall how, but he played with some settings managed to upsize one or two dimensions.
I ended up having to shave mine down just a tickle to get a snug fit.
It's possible to get the slicer to expand the part. I did try printing again on the Delta with support this time and exactly the same 0.3mm parameters as the Cartesian printer just to see how much that would help. It did. No sagging in the hollow section.

Anyway, thanks again for posting the info on this. It was enlightening.