• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Automation help

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
We're building a new chicken coop, and my Son and I are looking to bring some automation and control to it but I'm out of my element trying to figure out what I need and where to start....

Wants.
-wifi connectivity. Perhaps a custom app control
-camera feed (s)
-relay control for about 4-5 devices, like waterer, and feeder, door, etc

Basically I want to be able to connect via wifi to the house, and monitor the camera feeds. Also operate the coop door, waterer, feeder, and maybe a few other things that we think of. We don't "need" to do this, but I think it will be a fun project, and will be a great teaching opportunity. My Son is almost 11, and getting bored with the low level coding classes at school, and his Kiwico, so it's time to start doing some real world projects and learning this stuff together while utilizing the shop to it's potential.

The problem is I don't know much about the computer/programming side. I have vague idea of what I need, and how to put it altogether physically, but am a bit lost on the coding/hardware requirement side. I'm pretty sure the Rasp Pi 4 should be able to do what I need? I have a 4 channel wireless relay board that would do all the functional things I want from a keyfob, but was thinking about it again this morning, and thought why not go all in, and make it app controlled with cameras etc if I can. Am I biting off more than I can chew? A Pi 4 should be able to control all that right? Are there better, more user friendly ways to do it?

I'm trying to order some stuff here and there as funds allow, so that in a few months when we finish the coop, I'll have everything ready to go.

Thanks, Dan.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
One approach would be to separate the video and control. Both of those features can be implemented with OTS Amazon type stuff. Arduino is really easy to use / program with little programming experience required.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I thought about arduino. I have a few here, and have used them on some other projects, but didn't know they had wifi control (I did some more research after initial post). Seems like that would be the best way to go.

Separate camera control would be fine, but what I'm envisioning is a simple app that will open on a smartphone/tablet, that has the camera feeds showing in windows at the top, and a few buttons/sliders on the bottom to control the other things. I have NO idea HOW to do that part yet, but that's kind of the point of this project is to figure it all out. I like projects that drag me out of my comfort zone, even if they take way longer to complete than anticipated.

I think the separate camera control would be better too, as I'd like to add a bunch around the property also. That's another project.... I'd love some stand alone cameras, powered by solar charged batteries that would be able to leap frog network with each other. Not sure if that's exists commercially, but it would be pretty awesome to use as security and trail cameras around the property. A network of cameras 250-300' apart.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Both video and control can be done easily via the google Home App or the equivalent Alexa.

It's actually stupid easy. You just buy smart cameras, smart switches, and smart relays. Set them up on their native apps, and then hand control to google. Then you can program as simply as telling Google (by voice or through the app) to feed the chickens at 5am and 5pm every day. Or "show me my chickens" to look at video.

The hard part is getting WiFi out there. Not hard as in difficult, hard as in deciding which way to go. There are so many options.

There is a wireless bridge, a wireless hub, a wired hub, a wired bridge, and depending on how far away it is, maybe even just a wireless expansion point.

For example, I ran a wireless bridge between the house and my shop. This is a high strength line of sight connection. The house bridge is up on a tower and the other end is on the barn wall - both looking at each other. The house end is connected to my home network with an Ethernet cable. In the barn, I have a WiFi access point that is connected to the bridge through the wall.

Or you can use a small wired adapter to inject your internet over the power line to the chicken coop.

If the coop is close enough, just put a range extender between the house and the coop.

Once you have WiFi, it all gets stupid easy.

In my humble opinion Pi and Arduino are all WAY TOO overpowered for what you wanna do!

On the other hand, if you wanna put an electrode in your chickens cloaca and tell them to lay eggs on command, I might go Arduino.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
The Run-Chicken door is good, it has an app and is well made. I'd recommend it and a separate wifi security cam with alerts to smart phone.

Rucn chicken also makes a feeder, but I'm not familiar with it

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The Run-Chicken door is good, it has an app and is well made. I'd recommend it and a separate wifi security cam with alerts to smart phone.

Rucn chicken also makes a feeder, but I'm not familiar with it

You have chickens!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You have chickens!
I wish

I wanted chickens but cant in the city. I designed a coop where I heavily copied "carolina coops" design, and I was going to build it, but the landowner failed to pay their share of the greenhouse we agreed to split so there was no way I was going to build a coop and pay for chickens knowing I'd not get paid on that either.

I have a couple friends with chickens though, and one had the run-chicken door. It worked great and you dont have to get up with the chickens to let them out.

as soon as I get rural property Im building this for 6 chickens

1684721764042.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Both video and control can be done easily via the google Home App or the equivalent Alexa.

It's actually stupid easy. You just buy smart cameras, smart switches, and smart relays. Set them up on their native apps, and then hand control to google. Then you can program as simply as telling Google (by voice or through the app) to feed the chickens at 5am and 5pm every day. Or "show me my chickens" to look at video.

The hard part is getting WiFi out there. Not hard as in difficult, hard as in deciding which way to go. There are so many options.

There is a wireless bridge, a wireless hub, a wired hub, a wired bridge, and depending on how far away it is, maybe even just a wireless expansion point.

For example, I ran a wireless bridge between the house and my shop. This is a high strength line of sight connection. The house bridge is up on a tower and the other end is on the barn wall - both looking at each other. The house end is connected to my home network with an Ethernet cable. In the barn, I have a WiFi access point that is connected to the bridge through the wall.

Or you can use a small wired adapter to inject your internet over the power line to the chicken coop.

If the coop is close enough, just put a range extender between the house and the coop.

Once you have WiFi, it all gets stupid easy.

In my humble opinion Pi and Arduino are all WAY TOO overpowered for what you wanna do!

On the other hand, if you wanna put an electrode in your chickens cloaca and tell them to lay eggs on command, I might go Arduino.

You just took what I thought was the easy part (the wifi), and complicated it for me lol. The coop now is about 50' off the NW corner of the house. I get wifi signal on my phone there from the std starlink router. The new coop will be about 80' off the NE corner of the house. I'm not sure if I get signal there yet, but I'll check tomorrow.

I'll look into the other things, but not a fan of alexa, and the other devices..... would prefer to go standalone.

I do need to find a way to get internet out to the barn though. It's about 350' and I'm going to build a golf sim in there for next winter, so will need to figure something out by then. Found a device about 10 years ago that was line of sight transmitter/receiver type thing, but not sure what is available now. Probably something way better available now. I can't keep up with it. Computer tech was never my jam.

I'll pass on the chicken probe for now. Eventually will be a temperature probe at some point though.......Damn kids started naming them though.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You just took what I thought was the easy part (the wifi), and complicated it for me lol. The coop now is about 50' off the NW corner of the house. I get wifi signal on my phone there from the std starlink router. The new coop will be about 80' off the NE corner of the house. I'm not sure if I get signal there yet, but I'll check tomorrow.

Even if not, an extender located at the nearest corner of the house will probably do the trick. If not, use a WiFi over power connection to get you there for sure.

I also found that all routers are not created equal. I can get solid WiFi for at least 200 ft all around the house on an Asus Router but not D-Link, Linksys, or the provider stuff.

I'll look into the other things, but not a fan of alexa, and the other devices..... would prefer to go standalone.

I'm not a fan of Alexa either. We use Google home and are quite happy. It just works. The old tech was cludgy. But the stuff you get today is seamless and easy. I like being able to control my home by voice or remotely when I'm not home - everything from cameras, door locks, lights, power outlets and garage door, to security and power automation. I can even monitor my power usage remotely.

I do need to find a way to get internet out to the barn though. It's about 350' and I'm going to build a golf sim in there for next winter, so will need to figure something out by then. Found a device about 10 years ago that was line of sight transmitter/receiver type thing, but not sure what is available now. Probably something way better available now. I can't keep up with it. Computer tech was never my jam.

Engenious ENH500 - pricey, but will give you high-speed at long range - 350ft is easy. Mine has been working fine outdoors for about 10 years now . Prolly much cheaper stuff available now though.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I made a little 4 channel bi-directional cable eliminator a while back to get control signals back and forth from my shed to the house. Basically activate a logic input at one end and a relay or opto closes at the other end. Range depends on the antenna used, with the internal antenna about 100' and with an external antenna about 1500' if fairly unobstructed. If that would be of any use to you let me know and I can see if I have either spare boards or actual completed units.

Call me paranoid but I don't like the intrusive nature of Alexa, Google etc. I was taken back yesterday when I called a service provider in Ottawa to get a quote and before the phone rang a message was played that stated by continuing the call I agreed to allow Google to record and interpret the conversation and then use that information as they see fit which includes selling that information to third parties.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Call me paranoid but I don't like the intrusive nature of Alexa, Google etc. I was taken back yesterday when I called a service provider in Ottawa to get a quote and before the phone rang a message was played that stated by continuing the call I agreed to allow Google to record and interpret the conversation and then use that information as they see fit which includes selling that information to third parties.

Wow...... I know google listens, but that's the first time I've heard that they INSISTED on using it as they see fit or you can't use your device to place a call. Ever read the disclaimer for Facebook? 10x worse.

Don't you think it's odd that this happened while calling a provider? Who was the provider?

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Wow...... I know google listens, but that's the first time I've heard that they INSISTED on using it as they see fit or you can't use your device to place a call. Ever read the disclaimer for Facebook? 10x worse.

Don't you think it's odd that this happened while calling a provider? Who was the provider?
Pest control for ants at shed. Makes me wonder if this is going to be the new norm, we are loosing our privacy one step at a time. I'm not okay with this.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Pest control for ants at shed. Makes me wonder if this is going to be the new norm, we are loosing our privacy one step at a time. I'm not okay with this.

Ah, I thought you meant internet provider. No coincident then.

For ant control, I mix pop or melted caramels with Raid or Wilson liquid ant bait. Most ants can't resist the Carmel and take the bait home with it. The whole colony dies.

The only exception is the big carpenter ants. For them, I mix with water. The carpenter ants need water to feed the fungus they use to break down the wood. But the bait in the water kills them too.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I've seen the commercial offerings like the run chicken one and others. Pretty pricey, and me being me.....Why buy it, when I can make it for twice the price.
I had wanted to see about building a chicken coop door, until I found how well the two main products worked.

I'd build my own feeders and waterers for sure though

Ah, I thought you meant internet provider. No coincident then.

For ant control, I mix pop or melted caramels with Raid or Wilson liquid ant bait. Most ants can't resist the Carmel and take the bait home with it. The whole colony dies.

The only exception is the big carpenter ants. For them, I mix with water. The carpenter ants need water to feed the fungus they use to break down the wood. But the bait in the water kills them too.

The best ant killer I ever used is powdered sugar and borax. It is low toxicity, not harmful to people or pets but is a great pesticide for ants. They bring it back to their nest and feed the whole colony and the entire colony dies from the disruption of their digestive tracts.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The best ant killer I ever used is powdered sugar and borax. It is low toxicity, not harmful to people or pets but is a great pesticide for ants. They bring it back to their nest and feed the whole colony and the entire colony dies from the disruption of their digestive tracts.

I've heard of this but never tried it. 50/50 mix?