Auto-Retract Threading Tool

I saw that and have added it to the never ending list of projects that I likely won't live long enough to get to....
But it sure is a cool idea, right up there with Hemingway kits sensitive knurler, and the rotary broach I keep longing for....
I really need to quit wasting so much time trying to earn a living. :rolleyes:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm, you could retire. Just don't retire near a relative....my daughter gets a lot of cheap labor out of my retirement. :rolleyes: Altho if i fall and break a hip while i'm out checking critters at 4:30 she gets the first phone call.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An interesting little project that may be helpful to the occasional lathe thread cutters here

I thread A LOT!

So I figured it would be worth a quick look despite my hatred for YouTube.

Shortest, most direct video I've ever seen. I loved that!

Drove me nuts that he didn't remove that chip from the mechanism.

Wish he shared a drawing. Or something.

It's a cool giszmo for sure. But it only retracts the tool, it doesn't stop the carriage. A big shoulder and an old man with slow reflexes might still be a problem.

Seems to cut quite well despite the rigidity cost of the moving mechanism.

Overall, I like it. I'd like to know more.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I saw that and have added it to the never ending list of projects that I likely won't live long enough to get to....
But it sure is a cool idea, right up there with Hemingway kits sensitive knurler, and the rotary broach I keep longing for....
I'm just quoting this, because I couldn't have wrote it better than that.

If I ever win the lottery, I won't tell anybody, but there will be sings. Like finished projects.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An interesting little project that may be helpful to the occasional lathe thread cutters here

Can't stop thinking about this.

With a VFD and some minor circuitry, one could retract the tool and also reverse the lathe to rewind the carriage, reset the tool, and return to forward - all without crashing on a big shoulder or worrying about the 1/2 nut.

It would take a bit of experimenting to figure out the delays and the right trigger point, but it would solve all the problems of this design.

In fact, such a switch could be configured without even needing the spring loaded tool retractor!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is another video from the same person's site that addresses that problem.

Didn't see that till after my last post.

Another interesting video. I can see how the spring powers the half nut release mechanism but I can't see the half nut release mechanism itself - only the rod that conveys the signal.

I think the electronic reverse through the VFD is better.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I thread A LOT!

So I figured it would be worth a quick look despite my hatred for YouTube.

Shortest, most direct video I've ever seen. I loved that!

Drove me nuts that he didn't remove that chip from the mechanism.

Wish he shared a drawing. Or something.

It's a cool giszmo for sure. But it only retracts the tool, it doesn't stop the carriage. A big shoulder and an old man with slow reflexes might still be a problem.

Seems to cut quite well despite the rigidity cost of the moving mechanism.

Overall, I like it. I'd like to know more.
I don't think it would be hard to build it. I'd use an existing thread insert holder, just drill and thread a hole in the side for the spring retract screw. That way you could remove the screw and still use the tool to single point. I use a CXA toolpost and his plans, if he had them, would have to be modded. For internal threads you would have to thread in reverse. The tripping lever could be activated from a rod on the lathe carriage stop.
There are a few designs for retracting there, but this was the best.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think it would be hard to build it. I'd use an existing thread insert holder, just drill and thread a hole in the side for the spring retract screw.

LOL. I've been thinking of improvements too. For one thing, I'd lose the holder in a holder idea. I've NEVER liked those. I'd either make a whole new holder or modify a BXA tool holder with adjustments and maybe even a bearing based slider mechanism. Either way, it just seems silly to put a holder in a holder.

Edit - But the first thing I need to do is learn Fusion enough to finish my lathe stop design, incorporate the plunger system from this project, and see if I can get @Matt-Aburg to 3D print me out a prototype for a reasonable fee..... LOL!

Last edited:

mjautek

pretty clever!

if I could offer one comment - I'd suggest cutting the dovetail of the toolpost directly into the tool holder instead of making it clamp into a regular tool holder like this to reduce overhang - looks kind of goofy as a clamp-in

this is what I mean (couple of quick-retract threading tools I made for my lathes):
DSC03278.JPG

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
if I could offer one comment - I'd suggest cutting the dovetail of the toolpost directly into the tool holder instead of making it clamp into a regular tool holder like this to reduce overhang - looks kind of goofy as a clamp-in

EXACTLY my comment above! Sooooo much better as one holder instead of a holder in a holder.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Susquatch all that building effort would be better put into installing an ELS

You are right of course.

But..... That's no fun for a fellow who breathed electronic control systems for most of his career. Now I just want to get my hands dirty with good old fashioned mechanical stuff in a conventional machine shop. No ELS or CNC for me. No interest.

terry_g

Ultra Member
MrWhoopee is a member at hobby-machinist.com. I believe you have to contact him
through the forum to purchase one of his auto retract thread tools.