• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Audiophiles and Gearheads - is there any other hobby that has more pseudoscience?

Elektrishun

Ultra Member
As of late, I have been spending a lot of time fixing audio equipment. From guitar amps and speakers to turntables. As usual, researching the gear that I am working is everything. As with most things I find interesting I tend to go down research rabbit holes. When technical documentation is lacking or I have more general questions as a last resort I start reading the audio forums and even joined a niche group on social media. What I have learnt is that even something seeminly straightforward such as turntable cartridge mounting hardware can turn into a big debate. Aluminum vs stainless steel vs plastic vs brass... I am not saying there isn't a lot of science involved in audio, obviously there is and it can get really complex (speaking for myself). But seperating fact from fiction is a challenge. Not only do hobbyists make wild statements but the companies that produce the gear apparently make some hard to substantiate claims, as well.

One of my favorite stories that ecapsulates the subjectivity of what most of these debates are likely driven by is when my audiophile friend told me about the time he was listening to his newly purchased speakers. They sounded soooo much better than his old speakers. Then he realized that he had his old speakers hooked up.๐Ÿ™‚
 
more pseudoscience let's see.... reading truth social? watching fox? listening to Scott Bessent? Facebook? Youtube whackos? ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ™„
 
This billet machines so much better since I plugged the lathe into the gold plated receptacle.

My translation is audiophiles = audiofools, hot rodders/gearheads = well meaning folks not quite up to running a lathe. ๐Ÿ™‚ There, have I offended everyone ๐Ÿ˜€
 
more pseudoscience let's see.... reading truth social? watching fox? listening to Scott Bessent? Facebook? Youtube whackos? ๐Ÿ˜ณ ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ™„

I never knew watching the news was a hobby.๐Ÿ˜€

The only time I watch the news is when I am ecstatically happy and I need to take in something really depressing to balance me out.๐Ÿ˜‰
 
I run a receiver made by Hitachi in 1979. It sounds ok to me. The speakers are of good quality and not as old as the receiver, I would guess they were made in the last 15 years or so. I suspect that my ability to hear if something sounds good or not has deteriorated over the years so I wouldn't know if it sounds good vs excellent.

Should I start making and marketing billet aluminum speaker weight enhancers?
 
Back
Top