• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Auction-SURFACE GRINDER, Peterborough, ON

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
This is the first grinder I've used running on a vfd. Read about the many benefits for years regarding the variable speed, but I didn't really think about the softer ramp up negating the need to dress all the time. Right now I just have it running off my Mills vfd, via plug, same as my shaper, but I plan to have it on it's own when I can afford it someday. All the machines are so close, It's not that big of an inconveniece right now, and I can only use one at a time anyway.

I'm sure wheels will last many years at my usage rates. I would still like to pick up a couple extra hubs, just to have a couple different wheels for various materials/operations though.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On the Norton front, even though he isn't the most skilled machinist, Clough42 got a bad Norton wheel. it couldn't be balanced reasonably. I think Norton wheels are very high quality, but the odd bad one gets through. always. check.

I use Red Label Abrasives for all my belts, and Norton wheels (usually).