• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Auction....Gold? Deal or no deal?

Well, that is all well and good.

By 'returns' I am speaking of whether the item will actually become useful enough to justify carrying it around for years, or if it will be like so many things that I could afford and bought, that have turned out to be not nearly as used as I felt they would be. Been there, enough times, that it flavors my twitch response when I see something else I figure I 'just gotta have'.
Ugh. Can't a guy just buy some shiny stuff without the practicality police raining on his parade? You do you, and I'll build my shop as I see fit, thanks.

Ugh. Can't a guy just buy some shiny stuff without the practicality police raining on his parade? You do you, and I'll build my shop as I see fit, thanks.

This is always gunna happen. Especially to those of us who are driven by curiosity and the desire to learn new things.

If I had a buck for everytime somebody poopood my efforts to measure in sub tenths and work in tenths I'd be a millionaire.

Some guys just make stuff. Some guys collect stuff. Some guys rebuild stuff. Some guys are display addicts. Some guys make big messes. Some guys make a hobby out of getting the best deal. Some are filers. Some are pilers. Some are income focussed. Some are buyers and sellers. Some guys like to eat off the floor, some prefer to eat boot muck. Some are a blend of any of these. The forum is a place for all of us.

It's good to get a little rain on our parades from time to time to help us second guess ourselves and keep us from being totally stupid though.

LOL!

Sorry (OK, not really!) for the rain on yer parade! :D

Speaking from the perspective of going pretty much 'all-in', in several different hobby pursuits that eventually faded out of interest, I figure it is, as @Susquatch says above, a good thing to have the odd squall to keep us anchored in reality.

Back