• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Atlas 3986 lathe

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I know an older gentleman who wants to sell his lathe and tooling along with a 5 ton hydraulic press, 36 inch brake and a reciprocating power hacksaw.
The press, brake and saw are worth maybe 500-600 tops. Both the press and brake are home built but are actually really well done.
The lathe seems to be in very good condition and has quick change gearbox, a fair amount of tooling. 3 and 4 jaw chuck ( 4 jaw is newish), faceplate, milling vice attachment and a selection of cutters, drill bits, reamers, live center for the tailstock and various gauges, indicators and calipers.
Someone at a local tool supply told him it would cost 8 grand to replace today.
He said he will get back to me with a price this week for the package.
Assuming he comes back with something realistic, as in far less than even half of that, what would be a reasonable price?

trlvn

Ultra Member
I had to look up that model number. This is the lathe, right?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html

12" swing, 36" between centres. This particular model was bench mounted; didn't come with the nice steel stand. Sears sold the exact same machines with "Craftsman" badges. I think the equivalent model number is 101.07403.

I can't really advise on price. All the extras you mentioned are certainly worth something. Take the price of just of just one reamer, for example. The milling attachment could cost over $500 CAN if you had to buy it separately. I watched a video the other day with a guy just hogging metal off with the milling attachment on his 12 inch Atlas. (Are there end mill holders or collets included with the lathe?) You should get a complete list of what comes with the package and assess what it is worth to you.

As far as the $8k _replacement_ cost, that isn't relevant. Sure, all new stuff of the same quality and capacity would be a lot of money. Even if this is a very late model Atlas, it was still made nearly 40 years ago. You might want to insure it for that value but that's different.

Incidentally, MrPete222 on YouTube did a 3 part series on how to assess a used machine before purchase. First part is here:

Second part focuses on the 12", I believe.

Craig

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I had to look up that model number. This is the lathe, right?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas/page4.html

12" swing, 36" between centres. This particular model was bench mounted; didn't come with the nice steel stand. Sears sold the exact same machines with "Craftsman" badges. I think the equivalent model number is 101.07403.

I can't really advise on price. All the extras you mentioned are certainly worth something. Take the price of just of just one reamer, for example. The milling attachment could cost over $500 CAN if you had to buy it separately. I watched a video the other day with a guy just hogging metal off with the milling attachment on his 12 inch Atlas. (Are there end mill holders or collets included with the lathe?) You should get a complete list of what comes with the package and assess what it is worth to you.

As far as the $8k _replacement_ cost, that isn't relevant. Sure, all new stuff of the same quality and capacity would be a lot of money. Even if this is a very late model Atlas, it was still made nearly 40 years ago. You might want to insure it for that value but that's different.

Incidentally, MrPete222 on YouTube did a 3 part series on how to assess a used machine before purchase. First part is here:

Second part focuses on the 12", I believe.

Craig
Thanks Craig. I have a bad feeling he is going to come back with some unrealistic price but I guess we'll see. He wants to sell the stuff to fund a "project"

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Pricing is heavily dependant on machine condition. Through I can tell you that unless it includes diamonds 8k is too much.

Atlas lathe is an economy lathe & its old - it is at least 40 years old - lets say 50.

Size 12x36 is perfect for most hobby use. Where are you located? Price in Ontario is at least 20% less then in Alberta.

With 3 jaw / 4 jaw and face-plate and some tooling I think the lathe if in "average" condition here in AB with some stand would be an OK deal for around ... $2000. The milling attachment is not really worth much - sure if you felt like finding one and buying one someone may ask $500 for it. It is ultra speciality item & good luck selling it. If you really need to put a price on it then I would not consider it more than $200 if in good condition - preferably if you don't plan on milling on the lathe try to exclude it form the sale or consider it in bonus territory. I rather have $200 then that milling attachment - but I have milling machines for milling.

As for used tooling you need to provide a list. New reamer in size that you need is worth $$$. Used reamer in size that is odd is worth scrap metal price - i.e. not really much $. Trust me on eBay I bid on a box of new and used reamers 40lbs worth and I won with $30 USD. Seller cancelled the sale - guess he didn't want to sell hundred plus reamers some new for price of like 3 new. Yes it MAY cost a fortune to buy it new - don't go into that trap - just b/c reamer cost $100 plus new doesn't mean its now worth more then a $1 - even in usable condition. BTW you can get used reamers in common sizes for usually about $1-$2 USD up to say 3/4.

What could bust the price is the quality of chucks - for example if they are nice brand name chucks. Nice QC tool post - say Aloris (not a clone) with 10 tool holders would bust the price a lot.

Why $2000? Well you can get used much newer 14x40 for under $4000. You can get used 12x36 newer model for $3000. Heck if you look around hard you can get NEW 12x24 Chinese without QCGB but change gears for around $2500 plus taxes.... So we cannot exactly price old used Atlas, not exactly great quality lathe at over $2000.

"5 ton hydraulic press, 36 inch brake and a reciprocating power hacksaw"

Well the press is probably like $50. The brake is around $200 tops - unless it is some nice model made in USA - home build is not "nice US factory" - maybe better then Chinese - you can get new one on sale for around $275. Not sure about the power hacksaw, but for $250 which you suggests its worth it better be in good condition and be able to do what 4x6 band-saws do. So $500 seems about right if all is in good order and power hacksaw is nice.

Please get more specific on included measurement stuff & condition. Some of it could be worth a lot of $ some next to nothing.

kylemp

I know an older gentleman who wants to sell his lathe and tooling along with a 5 ton hydraulic press, 36 inch brake and a reciprocating power hacksaw.
The press, brake and saw are worth maybe 500-600 tops. Both the press and brake are home built but are actually really well done.
The lathe seems to be in very good condition and has quick change gearbox, a fair amount of tooling. 3 and 4 jaw chuck ( 4 jaw is newish), faceplate, milling vice attachment and a selection of cutters, drill bits, reamers, live center for the tailstock and various gauges, indicators and calipers.
Someone at a local tool supply told him it would cost 8 grand to replace today.
He said he will get back to me with a price this week for the package.
Assuming he comes back with something realistic, as in far less than even half of that, what would be a reasonable price?
What's the brake look like? Got pics?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Pricing is heavily dependant on machine condition. Through I can tell you that unless it includes diamonds 8k is too much.

Atlas lathe is an economy lathe & its old - it is at least 40 years old - lets say 50.

Size 12x36 is perfect for most hobby use. Where are you located? Price in Ontario is at least 20% less then in Alberta.

With 3 jaw / 4 jaw and face-plate and some tooling I think the lathe if in "average" condition here in AB with some stand would be an OK deal for around ... $2000. The milling attachment is not really worth much - sure if you felt like finding one and buying one someone may ask $500 for it. It is ultra speciality item & good luck selling it. If you really need to put a price on it then I would not consider it more than $200 if in good condition - preferably if you don't plan on milling on the lathe try to exclude it form the sale or consider it in bonus territory. I rather have $200 then that milling attachment - but I have milling machines for milling.

As for used tooling you need to provide a list. New reamer in size that you need is worth $$$. Used reamer in size that is odd is worth scrap metal price - i.e. not really much $. Trust me on eBay I bid on a box of new and used reamers 40lbs worth and I won with $30 USD. Seller cancelled the sale - guess he didn't want to sell hundred plus reamers some new for price of like 3 new. Yes it MAY cost a fortune to buy it new - don't go into that trap - just b/c reamer cost $100 plus new doesn't mean its now worth more then a $1 - even in usable condition. BTW you can get used reamers in common sizes for usually about $1-$2 USD up to say 3/4.

What could bust the price is the quality of chucks - for example if they are nice brand name chucks. Nice QC tool post - say Aloris (not a clone) with 10 tool holders would bust the price a lot.

Why $2000? Well you can get used much newer 14x40 for under $4000. You can get used 12x36 newer model for $3000. Heck if you look around hard you can get NEW 12x24 Chinese without QCGB but change gears for around $2500 plus taxes.... So we cannot exactly price old used Atlas, not exactly great quality lathe at over $2000.

"5 ton hydraulic press, 36 inch brake and a reciprocating power hacksaw"

Well the press is probably like $50. The brake is around $200 tops - unless it is some nice model made in USA - home build is not "nice US factory" - maybe better then Chinese - you can get new one on sale for around $275. Not sure about the power hacksaw, but for $250 which you suggests its worth it better be in good condition and be able to do what 4x6 band-saws do. So $500 seems about right if all is in good order and power hacksaw is nice.

Please get more specific on included measurement stuff & condition. Some of it could be worth a lot of $ some next to nothing.

Thanks for the tips Tom. I'm located near Regina.
I'll have to wait and see what price he comes back at. I'm in no rush and can definitely wait for a deal that makes more sense if the price is too much.

Dan