Assistance with pricing lathe

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know I am likely opening a can of worms, but I am selling my Craftex B227L lathe to make room for my new to me tools.

I'm looking for thoughts (be nice folks) on what I should list it for. It it is in good condition with no issues I know of. It comes with full change gears, 3 jaw chuck, MT2 dead centre for the tailstock (yes, it has a tailstock) and MT4 for the headstock. (new) Drill chuck with MT2 to hold in the tailstock. the bench, which is made from 2 x 6 and 2 x 10s, a light, and storage shelving at one end. (You will notice it has the Model 2 solid brass handles) IMG_9924.JPG IMG_9926.JPG IMG_9927.JPG IMG_9928.JPG IMG_9929.JPG IMG_9930.JPG IMG_9932.JPG IMG_9933.JPG IMG_9934.JPG IMG_9935.JPG IMG_9936.JPG IMG_9937.JPG

One thing that might make a difference: Machine tools are rarer than hen's teeth on the Island.

Up front: I would like a fair price, but also need the most pennies I can gather to help with the cost of the upgraded equipment. I know prices have gone up recently, but also don't want to be a jerk.

Here's some pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_9931.JPG
    IMG_9931.JPG
    353.2 KB · Views: 11

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wow! She is a beauty, and in great condition. Has all the goodies.

I love the brass handles - nice touch!

I dunno. Tough question. But that's prolly why you ask!

A new one is 2700 today which is 500 off the regular price. That pretty much sets your upper limit. If I was in the market for a lathe that size, and knowing how well you have looked after it, I'd prolly be interested at 2 grand......

That's just speaking for myself. I'm no expert.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow! She is a beauty, and in great condition. Has all the goodies.

I love the brass handles - nice touch!

II dunno. Tough question. But that's prolly why you ask!

A new one is 2700 today which is 500 off the regular price. That pretty much sets your upper limit. If I was in the market for a lathe that size, and knowing how well you have looked after it, I'd prolly be interested at 2 grand......

That's just speaking for myself. I'm no expert.
Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I just finished looking at new myself. Don't know why I didn't think of it right away. It's less that I thought it would be. Of course, on sale never helps the used market. ;o). On the upside, no tax and no delivery. Even on sale it totals out at $3650 with their "new" awesome flat rate shipping.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Appreciate you taking the time to respond. I just finished looking at new myself. Don't know why I didn't think of it right away. It's less that I thought it would be. Of course, on sale never helps the used market. ;o). On the upside, no tax and no delivery. Even on sale it totals out at $3650 with their "new" awesome flat rate shipping.
Busy Bee shipping is crazy expensive. Like $700 to the island.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Usually, I think of tax and shipping as a counterbalance to new warranty. But I do agree that these factors should be in your favour and might help you get a better price.

jorogi

Years ago a roommate and I used to swamp cars. Our deal was if the car didn't sell in a week, the other could sell it and keep anything over asking. Jeff got a mint caddy for $50, got running and cleaned up, a week later with it still in the driveway and not one call I changed the price in the ad from $200 to $2500. Next day the phone wouldn't stop ringing and the new owner drove it away at 09:00 with a $200 discount in his pocket, $200 in Jeffs pocket and $2100 in mine. Win, win, win. Didn't always work that way but if you ask too much there is always room for negotiation.

John

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I was thinking $1800 when I first looked at it - between that and @Susquatch I think you have a winner around that price. What sets you apart from new -especially BB tools - is that you can demonstrate cutting steel right in from of the buyer. That really helps a sale. You might ask 2150$, expecting to haggle a bit...

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would be asking in the 2100 range, leaves some haggle room. You do have a ready made bench and storage shelves as well to go with it.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Even on sale it totals out at $3650 with their "new" awesome flat rate shipping.
This is the type of info you need on hand to justify what ever your asking price is.

It might also be prudent to know the competition as well, KING, Grizzly and the like for features and what comes with them. This is for when someone throws the cost of a new King at you trying to bargain.

I was thinking the low/mid $2k range as well. The market will tell you if you're to hi or to low.

With the old mill I think I would leave the DRO in place. Chances are the scales won't fit the new machine and it gives the opportunity to upgrade as well.