• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Armstrong BXA size quick change tool post found at a random garage sale

John Conroy

Premium Member
My neighbor spotted this deal at a garage sale and called me asking if I was interested. It wasn't too far from home so I drove over and had a look. The Armstrong tool post and 2 Aloris BXA 201 sized tool holders were the only machining related items at this sale and looked pretty mint but dirty. It was a woman running the sale and she told me they were left over items from her ex-husband's stuff. The woman had no idea what they were but knew they were quite expensive to buy new. Someone had told her to ask for $400, I offered less and she jumped at my offer so they came home with me.

I took it apart and cleaned it with solvent to get the dried up grease and dirt out and it looks like new inside. I then re-assembled it with fresh light grease.

I already have a Chinese made wedge style tool post that I am pretty happy with. It has an Imperial threaded mounting post (same size and thread pitch as the Armstrong) and when I checked it I found the tool height to be repeatable to about +- .001". A couple of things about it have always bugged me though. Using the same tool holder mounted in the tool post perpendicular to the lathe bed results in a handle position about 45 degrees different that if it is mounted parallel to the lathe bed. Also the handle was always too far clockwise toward the chuck so I drilled and tapped 2 extra holes so I can re-position the handle further CCW when needed.

You can see the difference in the Chinese tool post handle positions in these 2 pics.

Here is the Armstrong with the same tool holder locked in both positions, as you can see the handle is in the same orientation in both pics

I tested the Armstrong tool post and it repeats tool height at +- .0002" so much better than the Chinese one. The last thing I noticed is that it is much more solid when a tool holder is locked. the handle on the old one has always been a little springy/mushy when locked, the Armstrong one is rock solid.

So is there a difference in performance between a North American built QCTP and an import one? I have to says yes there is.