• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Argon in GTA

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Ya, I'm totally confused already. I don't like big monopolies. I prefer competition.

Don't think about industrial gases then. Take a look at the annual reports, Pharmaceutical like returns because of the lack of competition. For once there was actually some thinking soul at the competition bureau and. When Praxair air bought Linde (and went with the Linde name), the GOC said nope and forced Praxair/Linde to sell what was Linde to Messer.

The industry is somewhat confusing because divisions in certain markets change hands often.

Messer was brought in to North America when Linde bought Praxair in order to create more competition.
We buy a fair bit. i switch a couple of years ago for about a 30% savings. Happy with the current choice and will restrict what I post online, but some are simply brutal firms to deal with, litigious and unsavoury. You know, the type who use litigation as a bullying tactic without any chance of winning, etc.

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I have three bottles, all from OxyPro (argon, oxy, co2 mix)

I agree with @Janger , not a really nice business to deal with, bad customer service. I think if you drive up in a one ton welding rig, spit on the side walk, and walk in like you own the place they treat you better.

But, purchase price was inline with KMS at the time and I do t refill enough to make the experience an issue and I have Kms as an option for refills

My issue with oxypro was their exchange program, I traded in a co2 mix tank that was 2 years old and got an 8 year old one (didn’t know to check back then). The next exchange resulted in a recert fee of 60 ….. lesson learned

Regardless, now that I’ve moved to Sk , my options are leasing from bumper to bumper or peavey mart, or filling in Calgary when I’m back. I don’t weld enough to lease, so buying again from peavey is probably my next step

For 2023, Calgary fills are probably my best option unless there is any interest in anyone in the Calgary area buying my three tanks. It would help offset the eventual jump to peavey.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with @Janger , not a really nice business to deal with, bad customer service. I think if you drive up in a one ton welding rig, spit on the side walk, and walk in like you own the place they treat you better.

Nope, they still rip us rig guys off, some guys buy there own, some guys make a deal with who they sub for, and some guys just eat it....I used to pay like 100 for an 02 at Praxair...guy I sub for right no was paying 40, same supplier

Art M

Soooo, here’s a question. Does anyone use Albee tanks from Air Liquide? The ones you buy outright and exchange to get filled. They have the regulator built in just connect the hose. I have a migmix and an argon that I’m thinking of trading in for O2 and acetylene as I have to get rid of my electric welders. Fill price per cf is cheaper than my B acet and 40cf oxy I own from Innovair here in Mb

Art

Gabe3366

Ended getting a 80cf tank from welding gas and supply in Scarborough for $300+tax filled. Refills are $80. Nice new shiny black tank with 2022 cert.

Canada welding supply is the cheapest in the GTA as far as I found. $250+tax filled, but bit out of my way.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Ended getting a 80cf tank from welding gas and supply in Scarborough for $300+tax filled. Refills are $80. Nice new shiny black tank with 2022 cert.

Canada welding supply is the cheapest in the GTA as far as I found. $250+tax filled, but bit out of my way.
In my opinion welders gas and supply are the best option to deal with for anyone in the east GTA.

Unlike Canada Welding Supply, WGS will refill anyone's tank provided it is up to date on certification. WGS refills are $15 bucks cheaper per 80 cf tank as well but their initial purchase price is higher.

The purchase price from WGS for 80 cubic foot welding gas tanks with a full charge of gas is 300, which yes is 50 bucks more than Canada Welding Supply, but saving a drive to Mississauga from Pickering is worth at least half that price difference. The refills are cheaper which pays off in the long run.

The costs are the same for the following three mixes : 80/20 mig blend, 75/25 ar/he tig blend and 100% argon.

Rapl welder

Hi Toronto builder, what was a full tank PSI when you refill the crossfire 80cf at WGS? I bought this tank from them last month and I refilled today. It initially came with 2200 psi. Today with the refill my gauge is showing 1700.
Thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hi Toronto builder, what was a full tank PSI when you refill the crossfire 80cf at WGS? I bought this tank from them last month and I refilled today. It initially came with 2200 psi. Today with the refill my gauge is showing 1700.
Thanks

Winter temps?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Temps difference would not make that much difference. Lower quantity fill. Kms gives you less psi too. Still at half what the other jerks charge I’ll take it any day.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Thanks
When you have a gas mix in a sealed pressure vessel the pressure is dependent on the external temperature. So if you want to ascertain the remaining volume of gas within the given volume tank based on pressure the temperature must remain constant. Therefore you can't use my readings to compare since the temp was not the same.

I typically use mass of the gas, if you keep your tank and DO NOT use a tank swap (which I never will given past issues) you can weigh the empty tank and record the weight on a label on the tank. Then you weigh the full tank and you will be able to check against the empty weight to see how full your tank is.

Argon and Carbon Dioxide both weigh 50.51 grams and 51.99 grams per cubic foot, so a properly filled 80 cf tank should have 4 KGs of gas. 80/20 mig blend should weigh 4.064 kgs

Rapl welder

Thank you that's perfect. Never thought of weight. Will start tracking that going forward. WGS moved by the way. They are about 5 min south of their old location. Check their website.
Thanks again

When filling tanks the gas is compressed and heats (a lot) and filled to rated pressure which when cooled back down to regular temps there is a 200-300psi pressure drop (you see the same on scuba tanks hot fill or cold fill)

I typically see my Argon fills around 2000-2100 psi. While I own the tank larger one, it is a swap out on the fills.