• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Argon for mild steel?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
My tank of cogar is just about empty. I have a full tank of argon that is left over from a tig project. Will argon work ok for for welding mild steel. The tig is gone so I'd like to use up the argon.

Thanks
John

I've done mild steel welding with TIG using argon. You had a tig welder and you don't any more? So you want to use argon with your MIG I guess? I think the CO2 in the 25/75 CO2/Argon mix makes the weld wetter but the argon should work on it's own.

I love welding crappy steel with my tig welder. I find it's super forgiving.

I get the impression you're not talking about Tig though, are you @Johnwa ?

Yes, my nephew took his tig back to the farm, but it's my bottle of argon. I've got a mig with almost empty bottle so I will try the argon on it.

Back