• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Anyone recognize this footstock?

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
It came with a B&S #13 Universal grinder but it is not Brown & Sharpe . I looked on Vintage machinery and could not match it up to anything. I believe it is for a Grinder, but it has no markings . It has what I think is a Morse Taper ( definitely not B&S) and a quick retraction lever for the center. It is very heavily made and has a bluish color. The aluminum protector on the end has a left-hand thread. It is rather distinct in design so am hoping someone will recognize it. The taper is close to a B&S #7.

Attachments

• IMG_1032.JPG
    IMG_1032.JPG
    380.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1031.JPG
    IMG_1031.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've never seen the like.

Since there is no veeway, but a hook, it looks like an accessory for a lathe with box ways. If it is very short front to back it might fit an atlas. if it is wider than 7" it might be a Shaublin. Hardinge also made box way lathes, but I haven;t looked closely enough to suggest a sizing. What is the measurement across the flat part of the bottom, and how high is the center from the flat part of the base?

A universal tool and cutter grinder might have a quick action footstock, but it would be spring loaded in most cases, as it would be for a surface grinder.

the vertical hole is self-explanatory. can you shed any light on the horizontal hole that you can see from the front? does it go all the way through? could it be a locking lever?

It could be part of a bench center system. *these are all guesses*...

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
I took some measurements: the center is 4" above the flat bottom surface, the flat is 3 1/2" left to right and 4 1/8 front to back. The two holes intersect at the same spot in the bottom, one hole is vertical and the other is at about 45 deg.. use one or the other but not both at the same time. Odd. I was hoping we could id. the thing so that perhaps someone could make use of it. I have no use for it myself.