Anyone Anodize at home? (Calgary)

TheLocalDrunk

Hey, Just looking to see if anyone can help me anodize a small aluminum part for me.
Does anyone here play around with DIY anodizing?

TheLocalDrunk

It doesnt seem to be that hard.
Currently I have been just using that Birchwood Caseys "Cold Blue" and was going to try their "Aluminum Black". If the AB works then it still would be cheaper and easier to just go that route.

TheLocalDrunk

FYI, Tried the Aluminum Black on the weekend.
Did not like the result. Over the large area that I was doing the black was too uneven and it looked very poor.
Some light work with a scotchbrite pad was also easily able to reverse everything so it was not very durable.

TheLocalDrunk

Little Anticlimactic
But I found a shop Alberta Base Anodizing that was able to squeeze my piece in with another job and did the anodizing for me.

Did a good job at it too.
IMG_2564.jpg
So no home jobbie for me on this one.

TheLocalDrunk

what did they charge if you dont mind me asking?
Originally when I described it. For a solo job they said 80$. I explained it’s a one off and I am not a business and they said they can fit it in with another order and charge me 10-20$. At the end of the day they didn’t charge me and just did it out of the kindness of their hearts.

TheLocalDrunk

Did you create it from a casting?

Nope, started some aluminum angle.
Covered it in Dykem
3D printed my profile and etched around the 3d printed part for the layout.
Used the mill to rough it out.
Then got in touch with my inner "ClickSpring" and used hand files to do the curves.
Then emery cloth and scotchbrite.
Holes were all located and drilled with the mill.

IMG_2565.jpg IMG_2566.jpg

(I broke my front sight on this pistol during a match which is why I switched it to optics. Had the gear to do it)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That looks really good! I'm impressed.

I'd be pretty puckered up attempting to drill and tap a frame:eek:

Last edited: