• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Any wet shavers using straight or safety razors on the forum?

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I haven't shaved my beard in 5 years and have just kept it tidy with an electric trimmer. I'll be best man at a wedding in a few weeks and I think I want to be beardless so I shaved today to give my face a few weeks of sunshine and hopefully I don't look to ghoulish in the wedding photos LOL.

There was a several year period where I got really into straight razor shaving and ended up collecting 12 or 15 vintage razors. Today I decided to pull out my only straight razor that is currently 'shave ready' to shave, and I thought that with there being a few knife-makers on this forum, maybe some of you guys also have either collected or made some straights.

Here are my favorites. The top left is the first one I purchased and shaved with today. It is a 'modern' razor, made by Revisor in Solingen, Germany (Solingen translates to the City of Blades, and is still the knife-making center of germany today). All the other razors are in various states of refurbishment, and are not shave ready. The bottom left is the oldest one I own, likely circa 1850's or 1860's. It appears to have the original horn scales, as well as some cool acid etching details (partially damaged by severe patina) on the face of the blade.

The two blades without scales are ones I bought with damaged scales and I will make some new ones eventually.

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 13.57.19.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-29 at 13.57.20.jpg

Proxule

Ultra Member
Yes, passed down by my father, I don't like contorting my hand, and I seem to always nick my self, then out comes the dreaded alum stick!
So I swapped over to a DE razor, I don't remember the last time I bought a blade. I bought maybe 3K blades for less then a penny each. I found the shark,derby,lord,astra and lada blades to be the best for my face.

I dislike super sharp blades! that gillete 7 oclok blades are INSANE, too much blood when I use them!

The bigger thing that most folks don't realize is AFTERSHAVE, I didn't realize what I was missing until I broke down and bought some quality aftershave. Geo F Trumper "skinfood"
Simply the best, What a nice way to finish off a straight blade or DE blade shave.

I use a boar brush, but I suppose that is personal preference.

Fun topic to discuss IMO.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I haven't shaved my beard in 5 years and have just kept it tidy with an electric trimmer. I'll be best man at a wedding in a few weeks and I think I want to be beardless so I shaved today to give my face a few weeks of sunshine and hopefully I don't look to ghoulish in the wedding photos LOL.

Shave? What does that word even mean?

I have not had any reason to do more than take a clipper to my face, neck, back, arms, bum, legs, etc, etc.....

Why the heck would you ever want to take a razor to yourself anyway?

Last time I was best man, they made me promise NOT to use a razor.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've never shaved with a straight razor in my life.
Thats a neat little collection of blades you have there.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I always wanted to try a straight razor at least once, but I'm more of a beard trimer/clipper guy. I usually only shave clean with a razor for weddings or funerals, and all my friends and family are done getting hitched, and hopefully the rest are done dying, so I've had a good run for a while of not having to shave.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
@Proxule I haven’t tried much for after shave, I’ll have to give the skin food a try. My brush is a badger hair brush. I used to be up to snuff on all the grades of badger hair but my knowledge needs some refreshing, I know mine is the cheapest grade LOL. Would love to see a picture of your razor if you have it handy!

I have a gillette fatboy safety razor as well that was my great grandpa’s. If I were to shave everyday before work I’d use the fatboy, but if I were shaving before a date or otherwise treating myself to a bit of pampering, I love the novelty of the straight razors.

Last edited:

Shoprat

Badger brush here,with a good foam soap. Agreed on the after shave, a GOOD aftershave lasts years. Expensive ,,,but worth it. Sorry I drop the ball on the razor end, my straight razor leaves me looking like I used a weed eater, Thus fusion.

Proxule

Ultra Member
@Proxule I haven’t tried much for after shave, I’ll have to give the skin food a try. My brush is a badger hair brush. I used to be up to snuff on all the grades of badger hair but my knowledge needs some refreshing, I know mine is the cheapest grade LOL. Would love to see a picture of your razor if you have it handy!

I have a gillette fatboy safety razor as well that was my great grandpa’s. If I were to shave everyday before work I’d use the fatboy, but if I were shaving before a date or otherwise treating myself to a bit of pampering, I love the novelty of the straight razors.
I currently use an edwin jagger DE razor. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0812/3241/products/EDJ089-3_x1024.jpeg?v=1556300928
The straight razor is in storage and has been for many years. We don't get along lol
I found the badger brushes too soft, So I opted for a boar brush. All my equipment is old and have not kept up with the new fancy stuff. But I suppose not much has changed.

I wish I could find a DE blade sharpener
Seems wasteful to throw out my blades. Even though it was less then a penny each.

"were shaving before a date or otherwise treating myself to a bit of pampering"
The only hot dates I go on is to the shop. Those machines just HOWLE when I get cleaned up. lol

I have tried most of the common big name soaps. I seem to always revert back to the CREAMS. Specifically the proraso cream. Cheap and very effective,

Have fun!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have an autoimmune disorder that affects my skin, and I have super sensitive skin, so I don't like to shave. I may shave 5 to 6 times a year.

I just use a trimmer.

This past year is the first time I've been able to grow a beard, since normally the itching it just too much to stand. But I got rid of the van dyke in the end because it bothered me. I have only kept a moustache and soul patch.

I mention all the above to let you all know that with my growing real facial hair it is now unhip, you should all start shaving now.

I used to collect straight razors since they are works of art, but damn it's a crazy thought to lay one of those blades across your neck

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I used to do different wet shaving styles, even once with straight blade - in Tajikistan' Dushanbe barber shop (!)

I switched to using motorized stuff - less mess, less irritation. Shave may not be as "close" but it is good enough.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ya,
This. Have not "shaved" since the early 80's and grew my first beard at 17.

Hahaha, similar story here too. I was shaving at 13 or 14 cuz dad wouldn't tolerate the beard. Dropped out of high school and left home at 18, and grew my first full beard right away. Oddly, my dad liked it. Got married young too, shaved for the wedding with lamb chops - remember those! Then grew the beard back. Wife made me shave once about 2 years later but her girl friend called me at work to tell me the bride was sorry she made me do that and to please grow it back. Never was without a beard again for the rest of my life.

Recent photo of my youngest son's beard. All three of my boys can grow beards like mine. Mine is curlier though and snow white now. I often do the Santa Deal at Christmas.

20230423_173314~2.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Jeeez in that pic it looks like you forgot to clean the milk off.;)

He uses a beard wax. I hate that stuff. It always looks like you have food on your beard! I don't like products of any kind on my fur anyplace let alone on my face!

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ya,

Hahaha, similar story here too. I was shaving at 13 or 14 cuz dad wouldn't tolerate the beard. Dropped out of high school and left home at 18, and grew my first full beard right away. Oddly, my dad liked it. Got married young too, shaved for the wedding with lamb chops - remember those! Then grew the beard back. Wife made me shave once about 2 years later but her girl friend called me at work to tell me the bride was sorry she made me do that and to please grow it back. Never was without a beard again for the rest of my life.

Recent photo of my youngest son's beard. All three of my boys can grow beards like mine. Mine is curlier though and snow white now. I often do the Santa Deal at Christmas.

View attachment 34080
Yup that's a good beard!

I use to have a little white in my beard, now I have a little black.:confused: