• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Any reviews or advice on the Craftex CX 611 milling machine for light steel work

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the picture shows a tracing mill - before CNC. The template goes under the stylus on the right. The other three heads each get a blank underneath them and after milling, three copies of the template are made.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This is exactly how I understand it - a copy mill. With just one head and no copy mechanism it is just a manual mill.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
How would you use this multi head machine exactly?

Both ways you suggested are possible. The advantage of this type is the enlongated lead screw. On the 42" table the lead screw should allow for 30" movement. This should allow a single vice in the centre of the table to hit 3 stations.

It's ideal use is where each head needed a different setup: angle or tool.

The moral of this story is, that for much less money and a making room for a bigger machine, it would be a lot better than buying a tiny machine at 3 times the price.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Are all Bridgeport bases basically the same and only the heads change between models? Guess what I'm asking is does a basement friendly Bridgeport exist?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
No, BP bases did change, heads also did change.

However, you can get what is known as "baby BP". What Busy Bee sells in their shop - their largest mills - are small baby BP.

https://www.grizzly.com/milling-machines?rankBy=price+desc

All 8 x 32 and 6 x 26 are baby BP. Others in that price range are bed mills. Bed mills are newer design. Remember BP is based on a design that is around 100 years old - that knee is both good and bad.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Guess what I'm asking is does a basement friendly Bridgeport exist?

Sure they do. Assuming you can move a 1600-1800 lb mill into your basement. mrpete222 did. Bert did. The mill I just bought from Bert was in his basement, and now I'm moving it up the stairs, and 25 km to my shop.

But it takes effort. Even the mill I describe above can go down stairs... but... I got Bert's cheap because I am uniquely qualified to move it out. Figure that the mill will be nearly worthless for resale if you move it down your stairs. The little ones, like the PM45 or PM30, retain their value in a basement, because a fridge dolly and 3 or 4 strong guys can move it easily.

Once the mill hits about 600 lbs, disassembly is needed to move it down/up stairs safely. I had to completely disassemble Bert's lathe to get it out of the basement, and the pieces still averaged 400 lbs each, with a nearly 800 lb bed... If at all possible, a garage shop makes a 'best case' scenario.

Heck, when I bought the mill from alincochrane, we had a devil of a time getting it up a single step, and into my truck. and it weighs only 500 lbs! - it was just awkward...

Last edited:

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
should have weighed my lathe parts before moving them into my basement, but I don’t know how to use my 8t scale properly

Debovsky

I am looking at buying the CX 611 for light work on steel. Typical work would be cutting keyways in shaft, milling steam engine "D" slide valves, boring holes large than 1/2", gunsmith work. Had some challenges with my Craftex CX 709 lathe motor but once I got that replaced all is well there.
It looks like somewhere down the road, Todd's question was completely lost; what about the BB CX611 mill ?? I too am giving serious thoughts on this one. And NO I'm not intersted in a 1/2 a milion ton piece of antique machinery. Anyone has experience of using the CX611?. Thanks

ThirtyOneDriver

Johnathan (John)
@Debovsky I have a CX611... I wouldn't call what I have "experience".

When I bought mine, it was a floor model and it appeared to be on of the last (if not THE last) one's available in Ontario at the time . I didn't buy any tooling until Black Friday.

I've used a 2" facemill on it and learned the importance of tightening up all the unused axis' - the tilting head has been an AWESOME feature for notching roll cage tubing w/ an annular cutter. R8 spindle seems to have made sourcing tooling pretty easy. It came preassembled on a base so moving it around on a two-wheeled dolly (top heavy) wasn't too hard (had my 6'4" ~240# brother do most of it but I was capable when needed.

The "Shop Fox M1111" manual blows the CX611's out of the water. DRO would be a great add-on; my buddy who is a tool and die maker seemed somewhat confused as to the scale marked on the axis wheel thingys - I haven't slowed down to figure out what's wrong w/ them but I think it had something to do w/ the Metric vs. Imperial conversion... something was off a decimal or it was 2:1 or ???.

Debovsky

@Debovsky I have a CX611... I wouldn't call what I have "experience".

When I bought mine, it was a floor model and it appeared to be on of the last (if not THE last) one's available in Ontario at the time . I didn't buy any tooling until Black Friday.

I've used a 2" facemill on it and learned the importance of tightening up all the unused axis' - the tilting head has been an AWESOME feature for notching roll cage tubing w/ an annular cutter. R8 spindle seems to have made sourcing tooling pretty easy. It came preassembled on a base so moving it around on a two-wheeled dolly (top heavy) wasn't too hard (had my 6'4" ~240# brother do most of it but I was capable when needed.

The "Shop Fox M1111" manual blows the CX611's out of the water. DRO would be a great add-on; my buddy who is a tool and die maker seemed somewhat confused as to the scale marked on the axis wheel thingys - I haven't slowed down to figure out what's wrong w/ them but I think it had something to do w/ the Metric vs. Imperial conversion... something was off a decimal or it was 2:1 or ???.
Since my last post I've installed a "TOAUTO" 3 axis DRO on it. Indeed, this is an awesome addition. Here's a picture attached... 20211011_174118.jpg