• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Any reviews or advice on the Craftex CX 611 milling machine for light steel work

I am looking at buying the CX 611 for light work on steel. Typical work would be cutting keyways in shaft, milling steam engine "D" slide valves, boring holes large than 1/2", gunsmith work. Had some challenges with my Craftex CX 709 lathe motor but once I got that replaced all is well there.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Todd I have the cx600. a baby brother. I expect you will like the cx611. it has good features. For the money you could find a knee mill used with a lot more power.

After my son did some more research on it we are now thinking the CX 601 is a slightly heavier machine so that looks to be the one we will buy. I will be using it in my 3 car garage along with the CX 709 lathe so I don't want to go much bigger. Once I am familiar with milling I will join that Maker shop and use their machine if I find some compelling reason to do something larger. The project at hand is a horseless carriage ("Locomobile") and my son will do some gunsmithing.so there is nothing very heavy to do. 1900_Locomobile_steam_car.jpg

The CX 611 is $3,149 plus accessories, regular price seems to be $450 higher. The CX 601 is $2699, and eternally on sale for $450 off list price. My son says we will have about $4200 into it with stand, vice, some tools and all.

Will do some research on the RF-45.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can do a lot better on kijiji with patience. I bought a 9X49 mill, an 8X32 and a 7X42, all Bridgeport styles, all for much less - well, the 9X49 was a little more, but...

You will find that a used RF45 clone will go for about $1700, which is sturdier that the CX's you are looking at. It all depends if you can wait a bit. Several candidates have gone by since Christmas. It really pays to get the sturdiest mill you can find room for, Lots less breaking of bits, and more accurate cuts with better finish.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I know Modern Tool sells a Chinese RF-45 style, but I don't know the price. For some reason they don't have it on their website, just the pole style. Alex ran the (dovetail 45) just to demo at the meetup we had there over a year ago. Both John Conroy & myself had Taiwan RF-45's & we both remarked how quiet that current one was by comparison & Alex wasn't really babying it. So even though its Chinese I think maybe they evolved it a bit over time? Mine was a 1998 vintage King, John's was a 2xxx Precision Mathews. As Dabbler says if you are in no rush (and that might be the case anyways with the virus situation) you might land on something. Even Modern gets tradebacks from people who upgrade to Bridgeport style so would be worth putting that feeler out there.

The RF-45 come in different flavors depending on the seller. Its getting to be a bit of misused generic description so check the specs; motor, table size, movement limits, accessories included.... I've seen some machines called 45 that look more like what PM calls 932. (I'm not suggesting purchasing from them, they just happen to have more in between sizes with specs & downloadable manuals to help you distinguish). https://www.precisionmatthews.com/product-category/millingmachines/benchmills/

Attachments

• SNAG-4-13-2020 0003.jpg
    SNAG-4-13-2020 0003.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
If size is an issue, then the PM945 and the Modern equivalent is a strong sturdy mill. I have one, and it is every bit as capable as any 'full sized' mill. There was a Busy BeeB048 (Grizzly G0678) clone on the market last month for $1800. That is also a very sturdy machine.

To be specific: PeterT and I own the PM945 that Modern sells. I used to have the B048 and Janger had it a while before upgrading big time. Both of these will be much more satisfying than spending more on a less capable, new milling machine. They both don't take much more space than a RF-45 type.

I personally think that buying a used mill is far less risky than buying a used lathe. Even without huge skills and exacting measuring equipment, a quick check on the flaking on the ways, the general cleanliness of the machine and the feel of the lead screws are a great indicator. the last check on a used mill is the most telling: check for side/side movement of the table at both ends and the center. if they are much different, walk away. That indicates a worn out/abused machine.

In the dozens of mills I've checked, the only one that I found that was bad in the ways was that 5400$ auction mill that needed a complete rebuild (impractical) or the scrapper. I was interested in it for parts only.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Oh, and another short thing. I know of a full sized Bridgeport for under 1K$. Now it needs some cleaning, and the motor needs to be replaced (it is a 440V 3phase) but the machine is solid, and in good condition.

I know space is always at a prelium - but these machines are a joy to work on, and last forever if cared for.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Oh, and another short thing. I know of a full sized Bridgeport for under 1K$. Now it needs some cleaning, and the motor needs to be replaced (it is a 440V 3phase) but the machine is solid, and in good condition.

I know space is always at a prelium - but these machines are a joy to work on, and last forever if cared for.

How big and heavy are we talking here John?

Craig

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Why even change motor from 440V, if its under 1000 get it at 440V and it will run weak on 240 (ask me how I know). Also you can get a transformer for few hundred. Even new motor - brand new is few hundred.

Beaten up - but I am sure working B-port clone that was abused sold for a under 2000 at auction.

There are few other auctions around - there will be more as economy tanks so a lot of great deals in the next few months.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The CX 611 is $3,149 plus accessories, regular price seems to be $450 higher. The CX 601 is $2699, and eternally on sale for $450 off list price. My son says we will have about $4200 into it with stand, vice, some tools and all.

Will do some research on the RF-45.
I've been dreaming about a cx601 for a while myself. I haven't been able to figure out why the cx611 costs so much more as it appears to be less of a machine than the cx601...what am I missing?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think once the stores open you need to see them in person and verify their specs.

I have no idea why anyone would want the junk machines from BB when you can get quality stuff elsewhere for less - but I guess everyone is different & some people don't have space for larger stuff.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@YYCHobbyMachinist it is a full sized Bridgeport with an unusual featrue, maybe even rare. it has the capacity to mount multiple milling heads on the same machine. For that reason it weighs more than a normal BP mill. I'd guess 2700 lbs. If it is going into a garage (and definitely NOT a basement) then the few extra hundred won't matter.

My BP clone weighs 3900 lbs and two of us got it into my garage easily.

I have all the equipment to move it except the trailer.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I assume that the extra head is side by side, as all PB and clones are designed to have extra attachment at the other end of the RAM - usually a slotting attachment. Or do you mean the very old BP with the round RAM, aka M head, but they also seem to have some kind of end of RAM attachment.

Extra head would make the machine worth more not less - you could sell the extra head. If it is a slotting attachment at the other end of the RAM it can be also sold for some extra $$$.

Are you sure you BP clone is a whopping 3900 lbs? My clone has 54x10 table 40 taper and 5hp and is around 3500 lbs max, probably less.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
-- The ram has a vertical table for mounting up to 4 heads. It only comes with one. It looks liek the table, about the same size, but vertical. I don't have a picture.

My 'First' 9X49 was weighed at terminal. It weighed 3700 lbs without the head. (I transported that in my truck) - I haven't weighed the head yet, but it's got to be nearly 200 lbs.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
very similar. the one I have in mind has a 8X42 inch table with a 10X36 inch upper table. (approx)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
View attachment 8660
There I think now I got it.
How would you use this multi head machine exactly? If you put a part on at the right of the table I don’t see how the table can move far enough to get the part under the left head? Would you have 4 or Multiple vises and move the part from work holding station to station?