• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Anvils...

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I finally stumbled into anvil heaven. Went to a farm this weekend up the road from my buddies place to browse the tools/estate of a gentlemen who recently passed -- private screening event. First item I see is a 100 anvil sitting on a work bench -- excellent shape, I put it on the floor. Next is a home-made anvil, made of 1" steel plate top, shaped like a short ironing board. The base is a 24" circle of 1" steel w/ a 4x6 still column that frames in a 4x6 post. This unit was @#$@ heavy.

topped off the pile with a vintage LKS Kwik-Kut power hacksaw. I offered 160 on the pile, sold! My buddy bought the oxy/acet (5 ft high bottles/torches/....) for $100. Good buy.

Pictures to come -- my back is still bruised from the moving of said treasure. It took 2 years, but I finally snagged an anvil. I may use the home-made unit as a stand for the standard anvil

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Correction, base is 18" diameter, top is 1.5 inches thick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Kevin - the anvil does it have any makers marks under the paint? Looks to be in good shape.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
None visible, other than 50kg cast into the one side

My guess is it isn't that old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Kevin - is the top hardened? a hammer bounced on a hardened top will go ping and the hammer will bounce right back up practically where it started. it has the look of a cast iron non hardened anvil but it's hard to tell.