• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-BC Annealing hardened steel

British Columbia
Type
Metal

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a friend that has access to hardened shafting. It is shafting from a mine site, so not sure what processes it has gone through.

Is it possible to anneal it in the oven so it can be machined easier?

Thanks!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Toaster oven? No. Heat treat oven? Yes. The hardened parts need to get to about 1500 F and be held there for about 1 hour per inch of thickness and then cooled slowly.

If you can build a decent size bonfire, you can likely get the pieces hot enough. Let the fire burn out and cool in the ashes overnight and they should be annealed. Or maybe find a buddy with a forge?

Craig

justin1

Super User
Depending what application it was used it could only be surface hardened which is easy to figure out by cutting with a handsaw the depth of hardness will be shiny compared to the softer inner core. Then I guy knows how much to turn down to make it useable.

If it's a breaker tips for hydraulic rock hammer its probly hardened thought out and would probly contain lots of internal stresses some which may not come out easy after a single round of a annealing. That and not sure how machinable magnesium based steel is.

Also if your buddy gives you a crusher ball that's been used I would avoid welding or try cutting it as they are known to explode from internal stresses.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks Justin!

I was talking to my neighbour (who is also a Justin) said they are pins from machinery joints. I'm guessing any hardness would be significant.

justin1

Super User
There probly just a 4140 pre hardened. Usually you want pins to wear out before bushings. I would still throw one in handsaw and find out if they are hardened at all. They probly will turn pretty good as is.

Edit.
With carbide maybe not hss lol

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There probly just a 4140 pre hardened. Usually you want pins to wear out before bushings. I would still throw one in handsaw and find out if they are hardened at all. They probly will turn pretty good as is.

Edit.
With carbide maybe not hss lol
Thanks! I’ll give it a whirl.

buckbrush

I was duplicating pins for a Japanese mini excavator. The original pins seemed to be case hardened on the outside like Thompson shafting, hardness files would not make a scratch on them.