• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

An RC Peterbilt B-Train 1:14 replica

B-Train

Hi everyone!
Here is my Peterbilt 389 B-Train replica, based on a Tamiya "King hauler" RC kit. My first goal was to make a good looking little replica of an fellow's truck who's carrying steel coils as a broker from almost 30 years for the steel plant where I worke since that same time (ArcelorMittal). As you will see in futur pics, the project has evolved from a "good looking" thing to a more elaborate replica, as my knowledge evolved too. But nothing is perfect, and this evolution was always tributary of the previous steps that was not always as they should be. Please consider it as a continuous "work in progress"...
The first pictures will show almost the basic kit, followed by some mechanicals and esthetics improvements, and after more elaborate machined parts.
I think it can be of interest to see how the project evolute from the starting point, however the real machining start a bit later, be advised ;)

The real truck:

DSC_0014.JPG

The replica:

fullsizeoutput_7b0.jpeg DSC_0019-2.JPG

Last edited:

B-Train

0036.JPG

First improvements, for more load capacity and more realistic starting moves.

Replacement of the stock axles brass bushings for ball bearings at each wheels, the two differentials and the speed transmission.

0033.JPG

Installation of a more efficient and powerfull motor
0010.JPG

Installation of the MFU (Multi-functionnal unit...) for lights & sound:

0083.JPG

Last edited:

B-Train

First machined part added, the front bumper, and first trailer protoype:

0114.JPG

0117.JPG

With the real steel coils in background :):

00164.JPG

Last edited:

B-Train

Next step was the contruction of the "lead" trailer, which is the front trailer of the B-Train trailer set. I used for that a regular Tamiya trailer kit (the same used for the trailer already mount) and made modifications to it:

00185.JPG
00190.JPG

00223.JPG
00239.JPG
00240.JPG
fullsizeoutput_7b1.jpeg
00241.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, very nice. You have captured a lot of the scale detail & lots of custom features.

Only one thing left to do. I'll keep my eye out for 1/14 diesel engine plans.:)

Attachments

• SNAG-11-1-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-11-1-2019 0000.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 0

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I attached a picture from this years "urban assault" basically a convoy of similar scale trucks and whatever else people want to bring. It is lots of fun and you should check it out. Great job on building your rig. Now get out and enjoy it.
20190713_214711.jpg

B-Train

Only one thing left to do. I'll keep my eye out for 1/14 diesel engine plans.:)

Thanks! I appreciate you like it! Not a piece of art, but I did put a lot of work on it ;).
About the motor, I know that some people in similar projects use diecast models (like this https://www.diecastmodelswholesale....series-1-12-diecast-model-by-diecast-masters/) in their truck, but it need many mods and the truck should be prepare from the beginning of the project, and most of time they don't have all same features because of lack of space... But they make superbs replicas!

I attached a picture from this years "urban assault" basically a convoy of similar scale trucks and whatever else people want to bring. It is lots of fun and you should check it out. Great job on building your rig. Now get out and enjoy it.
Thanks for your comments Alexander! Do you know where I can find others pics or infos about this event? Very interesting indeed!

B-Train

Ok, things are getting more serious!

First cab body mods. The Peterbilt 389 have their headlights and flashers outside the fenders, so here is how I prepared them (you can also see on the first one a cardboard mock up of the futur sleeper top). I also filled up some useless stock cavities :

00319.JPG
0323.JPG
00328.JPG
00331.JPG

B-Train

Painting of the undercarriage parts:

00403.JPG
00412.JPG
00416.JPG

With new rear fenders, front lights and some temporary commercial upgrades (sun visor, exhaust covers, fuel tanks...)

00446.JPG

B-Train

Intallation of the SS-tronyx wireless kit that will allow loading and unloading each trailers separately without any hand help for disconnecting wires for lights and motorized legs:

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0002-2.JPG

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Neat.
- how did you mock up the steel coils to look realistic & scale?
- what software do you use to convert the CAD file to CAM?
- how long did it take to CNC mill those footboard parts for example (aluminum I assume).
- what sort or airbrush / detail gun & paint system do you use on bigger model like that?

B-Train

- how did you mock up the steel coils to look realistic & scale?
After some trials, finally use cardboard tubing, put a roll of strapping 1/4" each sides (the same use one the real coils than you see around these), paint them, put a foil of galvanise steel around. :)

- what software do you use to convert the CAD file to CAM?
?
In these case I used CamBam, which is very good for relatively simples parts. Not the best for visualizing the real 3D parts however.
- how long did it take to CNC mill those footboard parts for example (aluminum I assume).
?
You are right about aluminum, which is relatively easy to machine, light and shiny for having a chrome look on models. In the footboard case most of the machining is nearly conventional, even they are make with the CNC. Mostly because there’s only two copy and are pretty simples. CNC features were more involved for the wheels, gas tank supports and some others where the number of copy and difficulty to machining some forms justifying the time passed in conception. Times varies a lot between each ones, depending of the metal volume to remove and the size of the tools used. But with a little machine like mine, and with the lack of optimisation (I’m not a real CNC programmer :rolleyes:) you can consider that they all take a relatively long time ;). I’ll try to find in my archive the theoretical time it should take for a specific example.

- what sort or airbrush / detail gun & paint system do you use on bigger model like that?
I used an ordinary airbrush, but bought the largest nozzle it could fit on. Probably not the easiest neither the fastest way but made a descent job... I used also the same truck paint than the one used on the real one.

I hope it answers your questions, don’t hesitate to ask for clarifications if was not clear enough!
And thanks for your interest!

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Very nice work man but I must say that "with all that Texas riggi'n added to doll-up that Pete, your missing one very important shiny item to make it a truly Canadian Pete....8 inch Paki straight pipes.

B-Train

One more of the fuel tanks supports and stainless straps:

DSC_0014-3.JPG

Partial view of the new driving shaft:

DSC_0015-3.JPG

Machining steps of the outer and inner rear wheels:

DSC_0001-2.JPG
DSC_0005-2.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

With the ten 2mm hex bolts per wheels...

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0027-2.JPG

Exhaust covers, handrails and sleeper rear windows trims:

DSC_0003-10.JPG

DSC_0001-11.JPG

B-Train

Next, and almost the last, the calander. The stock one was in plastic and did not lookng like a Peterbilt, so I made one.

First the back. It allows the fixation on the body but also on the jig to machine the front.

DSC_0006-6.JPG

DSC_0001-9.JPG

Then the jig used:

DSC_0008-2.JPG

Part fixed on the jjig:

DSC_0013-2.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

DSC_0003-15.JPG
DSC_0004-11.JPG
DSC_0002-14.JPG

DSC_0009-16.JPG

Finally, the front wheels!