• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

An orphan Lathe labelled only TY-1024

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Need some more pics of the overall bed & other more distinguishing pictures. I tried Googling '1989 TY-1024' & several hits of a Jet 1024 came up
images here
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jet...XR6Z4KHcXTCi8Q_AUoAXoECBUQAw&biw=1920&bih=937

https://www.yuriystoys.com/search/label/Jet 1024 Lathe

potential manual if that is the one
https://familab.org/wiki/images/1/17/Manual_Jet-Lathe-1024P(S)-&-1236P(S).pdf

Basically Taiwan lathes of this era came under a multitude of names. Jet was one of the common (USA) importers. Depending on the paint & 2$ sticker, some are identical, some mostly the same, some are slightly different. The devil is in the details. Parts wise you are probably SOL unless you can find a donor (and I did stumble on a few looking).

Nice resto work in progress BTW!

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Need some more pics of the overall bed & other more distinguishing pictures. I tried Googling '1989 TY-1024' & several hits of a Jet 1024 came up
images here
https://www.google.com/search?q=Jet...XR6Z4KHcXTCi8Q_AUoAXoECBUQAw&biw=1920&bih=937

Almost all lathes of like 20 makers are on a link to vintage lathes UK I provided - OP did not say its any of these. It must be something more unique.

Does this lathe have twin oil sight glasses like all other 1980s Taiwan lathes?

Fredem

Almost all lathes of like 20 makers are on a link to vintage lathes UK I provided - OP did not say its any of these. It must be something more unique.

Does this lathe have twin oil sight glasses like all other 1980s Taiwan lathes?
No sight glasses, and unlike the Jet, this one has a 4 position alpha control knob and a 4 position numeric knob making it a 16 speed qc box.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
No sight glasses, and unlike the Jet, this one has a 4 position alpha control knob and a 4 position numeric knob making it a 16 speed qc box.

From the pictures it looks like the spindle is belt driven. There is a gear arrangement in the headstock that I take to be back gears.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Based on the picture in post #17 of the QCGB, this lathe seems to have “rotary knobs” to change the gears.

Edit: @Fredem beat me to it....

BMW Rider

Super User
Nice F650GS. Had an 02 as my first GS. It didn't survive an encounter with a deer and I replace it with the new 800 and now an 850GSA.

Fredem

From the pictures it looks like the spindle is belt driven. There is a gear arrangement in the headstock that I take to be back gears.
That is correct. The lever goes on top once the cover is in place. Not the cleverest cover design I might add. I am going to put my gear train into an oil bath instead of loading them with grease. Hope to make the headstock a little quieter.

Last edited:

Fredem

yes. The spindle has a stout V belt that is presently riding deep in the V. If it fails or there is no slack left to adjust out the spindle will have to be pulled. Alternatively I could use a Fenner link belt if the group send some positive feedback. There is a high and low range.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
yes. The spindle has a stout V belt that is presently riding deep in the V. If it fails or there is no slack left to adjust out the spindle will have to be pulled. Alternatively I could use a Fenner link belt if the group send some positive feedback. There is a high and low range.
Although I haven't yet used a link belt myself all that I have heard about them has been positive. I sure would not dismantle the spindle/headstock just for a belt replacement.