• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

AMMEND Needing help with WIRING some steppers to arduino.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
The trim pot is next th the chip on the driver board. It’s the round metal thing about ⅛” in diameter. You can adjust it with a Phillips screwdriver. To check for continuity you’ll need an ohm meter and measure the ohms between the red motor lead and which ever one is next to it on the connector. Same thing with the other pair. You should get a very low reading, a few ohms at most.

What part of the city are you in?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’m in Oakridge, south of the Glenmore reservoir.
Do you have Grbl on the Arduino and what software are you using on the computer?
I’ll set up a the same configuration and see what happens

I have grbl controller on the XP, as well as Mach3, EFL CNCH as for being on the board not sure. It could very well be the software issue, again I'm not overly familiar with.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I’ll set up eflcnc/Grbl. Might not get it done today tho. If I get it going then we can talk/meet up.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Ok. Download this file
http://cdn1.inventables.com/hexfiles/grbl/inventables_grbl_09j_2015_07_17.hex

Then open it EFL. You will have to tell it to open all files, otherwise it only shows .nc files.
Then with your arduino connected to the computer click the upload grbl button. You might have to select a different comm port from the list just below the browse button.

You should now be able to connect to the arduino and connected button will light up.

The hex file is not the latest version of grbl. There is a different method to upload the last version but lets give this a try first.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
You will have to change the comm port in the box just below the browse button in EFL. You’ll likely have to open up device manager to identify the port.

Well it seems I am as stupid as I look.
John had things figured out pretty quickly. Apparently Grbl had not downloaded properly, amongst other trivial things.
Well I'm happy to report that John got me running well at least until to the next problem, but I'm pretty sure I have a lot to learn now.

Give John a little (and I mean a little) nudge on the arm, or an Atta a boy, Job well done.

Thanks for helping me John.
Oh and Alex as well for helping me as well.