• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CA-AB Amazon prices

Alberta
Type
Supplies

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Has anyone noticed that Amazon prices are just going through the roof on many items?

I used to find all sorts of good deals on Amazon but now it seems that's rare. Many items that I have bought in the past are now 30-50% higher. Here are some bearings that I bought on March 20th for $6.49 and today they are $17.99!

Newzoll 10x22x6mm 6900ZZ Metal Shielded Skateboard Ball Bearing Bearings 6900z 5PCS Skateboard Bearings https://a.co/d/gPbGGtK

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I noticed it on Amazon, but much more so on eBay, to the point I purchase less from Amazon and very little from eBay anymore. The depreciation of the Canadian peso is not helping.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Has anyone noticed that Amazon prices are just going through the roof on many items?

Don't forget that Amazon uses big data to assess your wants. If it knows you want something, the price will go up. I often use incognito mode to shop and only sign in to buy. The price difference is usually nothing but sometimes it is startling! I never buy anything over $25 without incognito comparison shopping.

They also price according to demand and supply so big shifts can happen overnight. It's not like Canadian tire where the sales are planned weeks in advance.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Amazon prices often fluctuate, wildly sometimes

Use camelcamelcamel, it will give you the price history, and allow you to set a notification email when the item drops to or below the price tou are willing to pay

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Don't forget that Amazon uses big data to assess your wants. If it knows you want something, the price will go up. I often use incognito mode to shop and only sign in to buy. The price difference is usually nothing but sometimes it is startling! I never buy anything over $25 without incognito comparison shopping.

They also price according to demand and supply so big shifts can happen overnight. It's not like Canadian tire where the sales are planned weeks in advance.

This is not entirely true, they no longer do individual pricing per user (was true in the past). And incognito isn't going to stop them seeing more people looking at a product page and modifying the demand.

Amazon prices often fluctuate, wildly sometimes

Use camelcamelcamel, it will give you the price history, and allow you to set a notification email when the item drops to or below the price tou are willing to pay

I did a video on some ways I use to find deals still:

Tom O

Ultra Member

You mean like this one I bought for my son at Xmas in Canadian tire. On sale in the main isle you walk through now look at the isle photo price!

00DF4775-F21E-4564-8018-D76562A56CAC.jpeg
Original Isle location
9CDFB5F9-67ED-4E6F-8970-91133BCD1F24.jpeg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is not entirely true, they no longer do individual pricing per user (was true in the past). And incognito isn't going to stop them seeing more people looking at a product page and modifying the demand..

If it's true that they don't do that anymore, then how come I still get different prices using incognito vs logging in?

To be fair, it only happened 1 time in 10 just now, but it was a fairly big ticket item. Also, it might matter more or less if it's something I've been looking at or that's in my wish lists.

I guess I just inherently don't trust an outfit the size of Amazon to care much about one old man in SW Ontario.

How do you know they stopped doing that?

To be honest, even if incognito didn't help me personally, it's one less data point for them to put in my data files and one less to include in the files they use to take advantage of everyone else. I like being quiet and off the radar.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
If it's true that they don't do that anymore, then how come I still get different prices using incognito vs logging in?

To be fair, it only happened 1 time in 10 just now, but it was a fairly big ticket item. Also, it might matter more or less if it's something I've been looking at or that's in my wish lists.

I guess I just inherently don't trust an outfit the size of Amazon to care much about one old man in SW Ontario.

To be honest, even if incognito didn't help me personally, it's one less data point for them to put in my data files and one less to include in the files they use to take advantage of everyone else. I like being quiet and off the radar.

It was a big thing some years ago...I seem to remember some lawsuits and such?

Regardless, prices can change by the minute, see that all the time, but not consistently different between two browsers or logged in or incognito or anything else.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

I used to find all sorts of good deals on Amazon but now it seems that's rare. Many items that I have bought in the past are now 30-50% higher. Here are some bearings that I bought on March 20th for $6.49 and today they are $17.99!

Newzoll 10x22x6mm 6900ZZ Metal Shielded Skateboard Ball Bearing Bearings 6900z 5PCS Skateboard Bearings https://a.co/d/gPbGGtK

I have a guy on eBay that sells bearings from Czechia. I am sure prices have gone up but not to the point you are mentioning. His name is "Bohemian Seal".

Ironman

Ultra Member
I try not to give money to the likes of Bezos, especially when I saw things like an item listed $600 higher(it was not a misprint) on the Canuk site compared to the US side. I know this is one penalty of living here, but 600 is way out there.
I now compare every item between Ebay and Amazon, watching the shipping also. Ebay was always cheaper but now it is 50/50 on the prices of what I buy.Also we have to remember as our dollar becomes more worthless, it takes more of them to buy the same item.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I try not to give money to the likes of Bezos, especially when I saw things like an item listed $600 higher(it was not a misprint) on the Canuk site compared to the US side. I know this is one penalty of living here, but 600 is way out there.
I now compare every item between Ebay and Amazon, watching the shipping also. Ebay was always cheaper but now it is 50/50 on the prices of what I buy.Also we have to remember as our dollar becomes more worthless, it takes more of them to buy the same item.

$600 higher on a $10 item or a $10,000 item?

Either way, comparing CA to US is a problem at literally all retailers.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I did notice quite a change in Amazon looking at plasma cutters this week vs a couple month ago. Two things I noticed, 2 months ago there were page after page after page of selection of what I was after....now a couple pages of machines mostly 50-75 dollars more expensive and many pages of consumables

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If anyone wants a plasma cutter I have an auction site that has the units regularly at roughly $150 or so for Cut50.

Tom O

Ultra Member

Could you check the prices using the incognito browser or use the wife’s phone?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
camelcamelcamel.com on vacuum bags for the shop vac. First pic is name brand and second pic is the ones I buy. I see through Covid the no name brand I buy was up from $12 to $23 and now it has gone back down. Certainly interesting at least. Thanks ryan @phaxtris for posting about that. I have another amazon tool I'll post about.

1682111523004.png
1682111699232.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You know how the reviews on amazon (or anywhere) are often fishy and seem like they were written by somebody being paid. Well they are! There is this tool called fakespot which tries to analyze and determine how fake the reviews are on a product. www.fakespot.com
Here is what they think of Mitu caliper reviews on amazon.

1682131014166.png

Attachments

• 1682130769472.png
    1682130769472.png
    779.9 KB · Views: 4

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Thought of getting some Dykem fluid today. Looked on Amazon, $45. WHAT!?! I check KBC, $14.50. (still pricey, in 2010 it was 7.40... BoC inflation calculator says it should be 10.01 now)

I buy a lot from amazon, its a good reminder never buy from them without checking the price.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member

ah but if you want something and it sends you a marketing email you can game the system.

if you really want it add it to your cart, but dont process the cart. Let that bastard sit there for week. Then send it to the save for later section of your cart.

then watch it as the price will be lowered when you dont complete a transaction.