Aluminum dash, things were learned

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Well that certainly would have been out of my reach. I paid something like $1200 in 1982 to obtain my license and that was a stretch for us at the time.

yea just like the cost of everything else, it has far outpaced inflation

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
1200$ in 1980 when adjusted for inflation is like 5000$ today according to the bank of Canada (https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/related/inflation-calculator/)

just like a house in the 90's was 100k and a journeyman made 28$ and that same house now is 450k and a journeyman makes 35-40, 30-40% increase in wage, 450% increase in the cost of a house

anyways, i feel sorry for the guy's in there early 20's now, hard to make a go of things

Good thing i dont have kids! lol

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very cool. Learning to fly, and building an ultralight is something I've always wanted to do. Coming to the realization that I'll probably never get to it, but love seeing others builds.
Well if I can offer some advice from my experience...I also dreamed of building and flying an ultralight. I'm 90% successful and only have about another 50% to go!

Long story short, I bought a "kit" went wild with building every spare moment I got (which wasn't much) for the first year. Then life happened, I got married, business constraints, had kids, had heart attack, family deaths, marriage troubles, financial uncertainties, you know, normal life stuff.

I loved the building aspect but then came the painting of the synthetic material covering. Train wreck with me behind the paint sprayer. Expensive mistakes, huge delays and procrastination for years and then finally even more expensive professional painter to finish the job.

More life happened. Still not flying the damn thing. I still have hopes but have forgotten almost everything I knew about the thing by now.

I wish I would have boughten a cheap old Cessna 150 and got up flying right away. Now I'm getting old and dodgey and still haven't got my wings. I say fly now when you can, and if you can squeeze in a build while flying you'll enjoy it all the more.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
60 hrs? I checked my log book and my license was granted at 32 hrs dual, 14 hrs PIC.

Yea Canada average is something like 60+, I think some things have changed over the years, Springbank average ppl is something like 75hrs

I don't even believe the requirements are the same as they were in the 80's

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I envy the time and space to build your own. My Dad never completed his Osprey-II and my brother, who doesn't fly, claimed it when my dad passed. I'm the only one in the family with a pilot's license. I started back in Edmonton. Here's what it cost when I did my first solo.
1702329252672.png

I never did get my license after about 35 hours then because went to University so there was no money for flying.

Took it up again here in Victoria from Aug 2001 to Oct 2003 by driving a beater Jeep Cherokee for an extra 3 years spending money that would have been spent on a new car instead took up flying again. Don't have any receipts handy for those costs but once again money became an issue.

The question fly or keep the sailboat? Couldn't afford both. Kept the sailboat. That and High BP and vision issues were the other impediment to any further flying.
1702329444025.png

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
that 48$ was with aircraft rental ?? you cant even buy an hour worth of 100ll for 48$ these days!

looks like you did achieve a license in the end, with a night rating to boot !

here's what my first solo cost, .8 dual and .3 solo

its expensive these days, and with the pilot shortage you go though instructors like crazy, ive had 7 different instructors in the last 7 or so months...every new instructor costs you at least 1 flight ive found, and of course some are better than others, most just building time

Solo invoice.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
So about a 10 fold increase over more than 40 years. That's actually not bad. A lot of other things have gone up way more than 10x. Also had my mountain check ride so I was allowed to take the rental across the island to Tofino with the kids. Play on the beach touching the pacific side of the island. Then fly back. A short drive to the east side of the island and touch the other side. All in one day.
Did a night flight once with the kids looking at Christmas lights over Victoria.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Keep fiddling away Ryan.
Aviation & Metalwork can lead you to NEW skills and experiences.

Did I mention the ‘AVRO’ guys I ran across in a hanger at Buttonville Airport who were rebuilding an ARROW fuselage in 2003 ?
Pilots are like us ‘metalheads‘, always interesting and lots of cool projects on the go !!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Did I mention the ‘AVRO’ guys I ran across in a hanger at Buttonville Airport who were rebuilding an ARROW fuselage in 2003 ?
Pilots are like us ‘metalheads‘, always interesting and lots of cool projects on the go !!
Did they finish it? I want to see.

jorogi

Mine was $1720 back in 79, sorta hard not to say "time flies".

Phaxtris it's kind of hard to see detail in the pictures, did you relocate a fuel tank vent to just in front of the windshield ?

Unfortunately with flight training your kind of stuck with whatever is around and there are very few good schools or instructors around. One option would be a more senior (rating wise) instructor or older instructor. They will probably have been in the game longer and their motivation might be more aligned with yours. Downside of course is they are harder to find.

The DA 20 is hands down the best training platform going, so you're set there. Tail dragging is a little harder to find. Keep your eyes open for someone building hours in one, your dollars helping put hours in their logbook might be helpful to all.

If you have any questions or need help with the course, pm if you want. 17 years as a QFI, 15 of those as a class 1.

John

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I did an image search on "taylor monoplane" and some of the configurations are really neat. There was a Sea Fury, Spitfire. Hurricane and other warbird paint jobs and different themes. It's like the beetle of the air, fitting as it's VW powered.

I went with the recreational license, it was only 25hrs and the limitations weren't limiting for my " burning holes in the sky" type of flying.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If you ever get to Washington DC a visit to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum is a must. Seeing planes like the Wright Flyer and the Spirit of St Louis up close and personal is a real thrill for any aviation buff.