Aluminum dash, things were learned

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
its a "taylor monoplane", nothing crazy, a slow 80-90mph cruise, 3ish gph burn, 1835cc vw, homebuilt
That looks beautiful!

As a kid I read about the VP-1 and was fascinated by how it looked just like the model planes I was building. I still dream about building one but it’s not going to happen now.

Your Taylor Monoplane looks a lot more practical for a Canadian climate than a VP-1!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
That looks beautiful!

As a kid I read about the VP-1 and was fascinated by how it looked just like the model planes I was building. I still dream about building one but it’s not going to happen now.

Your Taylor Monoplane looks a lot more practical for a Canadian climate than a VP-1!

I think the vp1 looks like a lot of fun! maybe a bit cold for our climate like you said

Put the dash together today, waiting on some parts from digikey and aircraft spruce to do the switches/wiring, but it was enough for me to sit in it and make airplane noises
IMG_20231231_143755.jpg

jorogi

Not funny, years ago , before cell phones I flew a plane that had a radar altimeter. One dark and stormy night shooting an approach in deep mountain valley the alarm went off, quick check of all the nav gear and we're right where we should be and then the alarm goes quiet. Taxiing in and the alarm sounds again, clued in then it was it was the first time my pager had toned.

John

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Finished the re-wiring adventure, got the dash all together, picture time.

There is a usb and cigarette lighter outlet hidden under the dash behind the radio/iPad/phone power

Still missing an inclometer below the tach

IMG_20240211_115856.jpg

Last edited:

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Looking Good !!
Is that your registration C-FIHI ??

How are you doing with the Tail Dragger requirements ?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looking Good !!
Is that your registration C-FIHI ??

How are you doing with the Tail Dragger requirements ?

yea, C-FIHI, although it still hasnt switched over to my name yet

I have a couple numbers to call around for guys that may give a few lessons locally, baring that i have reached out to a couple schools, winnipeg is my best option, i have family to visit there anyhow downside is they are a little pricey at 300 an hr dual in a Citabria, but they will book me in 2-3 hrs a day over the course of a week

jorogi

Best registration ever

View attachment 43966
Love it.
Test flew a plane years back. The owner/builder had deep pockets and kept adding bling, bigger engine, bigger tanks, more tanks, constant speed prop, float fittings, leather interior, avionics out the ying yang etc, etc. Everyone told him it was going to be too heavy. The one thing he wouldn't spend money on was getting a personal registration, he just made the application and took what he got. Of course we all howled when they assigned HVY to it.
Another one I did got FYM so of course we called that one Mike.

jorogi

Finished the re-wiring adventure, got the dash all together, picture time.

There is a usb and cigarette lighter outlet hidden under the dash behind the radio/iPad/phone power

Still missing an inclometer below the tach
I-pad, are you familiar with ForeFlight ? Cheaper than paper charts and a very powerful tool.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I-pad, are you familiar with ForeFlight ? Cheaper than paper charts and a very powerful tool.

you bet, thats whats running on the ipad in the picture.....i only have the basic subscription, but still well worth the 150$ a year to not have to screw around with paper charts (never mind buying them all the time). I actually tried one of the free ones that would run on an android tablet (as i already had one), couldnt do it, ended up buying a used ipad on ebay and a subscription, its defiantly that good

Love it.
Test flew a plane years back. The owner/builder had deep pockets and kept adding bling, bigger engine, bigger tanks, more tanks, constant speed prop, float fittings, leather interior, avionics out the ying yang etc, etc. Everyone told him it was going to be too heavy. The one thing he wouldn't spend money on was getting a personal registration, he just made the application and took what he got. Of course we all howled when they assigned HVY to it.
Another one I did got FYM so of course we called that one Mike.

weight creep seems to be a common problem, little over kill here, little added bit there, adds up fast. I am not sure where the taylor will sit when i get it on the scales, ive taken some weight out here, probably added a bit there, im hoping its close to what it was with a little more aft weight.

speaking of weight creep, there is a 2 seater aeronica for sale in Alberta that is heavy to the point the useful load is only 400lbs, a 2 seater is effectively a single seater at that point