• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

All Kennedys are now onsite !

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
Bought my ex-coworker's tools from his widow a while back and finally have the Kennedy boxes moved in . These were all filled and had to be emptied , hauled up basement steps , lifted into my much lifted truck , hauled home , moved in and reinstalled drawers . Long couple days of work .

Attachments

• IMG_0959.JPG
    IMG_0959.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    410.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1025.JPG
    IMG_1025.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1026.JPG
    IMG_1026.JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 25

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I'm sure that was a LOT of work!
Nice boxes!! Let's see what's left after you build your daughter's tower!

mmcmdl

I'm sure that was a LOT of work!
Nice boxes!! Let's see what's left after you build your daughter's tower!
Only the big roll around and my Kennedy mechanics box that isn't shown . Or , she can have my 42" Vidmar . Or , we can get rid of everything and I can get a real life ! :D

ChazzC

Bought my ex-coworker's tools from his widow a while back and finally have the Kennedy boxes moved in . These were all filled and had to be emptied , hauled up basement steps , lifted into my much lifted truck , hauled home , moved in and reinstalled drawers . Long couple days of work .
I was really excited until I re-read the title of the post: I guess they’re not “On Sale” (that’s what I get for reading New Posts list on my phone without glasses).

Reminds me of my first visit to Johannesburg: I asked my host why they had big signs saying where the bathrooms were - “TO LET,” and my mind filled in the missing letter.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Wait, you look at the price before you buy??

It's an all new process suggested by my 4 children after they discussed it with their mother.

Apparently it's a compound savings associated with their inheritance values and both legal and material costs associated with terms of spousal severance.

They made a very compelling argument.

ChazzC

Ok, I have to ask. Where does Kennedy rank amongst boxes?
It depends on what you are looking for. Amongst the metal alternatives, if you need a lot of shallow drawers for small items, Kennedy will have them; if you need deep drawers for weighty items, you would be better off getting a chest that has ball bearing slides (traditional Kennedy boxes/chests/cabinets have metal-to-metal slides, much like many Craftsman boxes). The Kennedy Maintenance Pro™ line have ball bearing slides; Dave can confirm if the blue one he has is a Maintenance Pro™.

Kennedy:
Kennedy Slides rfs.jpg

Craftsman:
Craftsman Slides rfs.jpg

Kobalt:
Kobalt Slides rfs.jpg

As you can see, I have multiple of each style and use them for the different types of storage options they offer.

If you have a lot of dollars/Loonies and want to go for wood, Gerstner is considered by many to be the best; however, the smaller boxes & chests have wood-to-wood slides (Pro-Series Roller Cabinets have ball bearing slides):

Gerstner Slides rfs.jpg

Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Where does Kennedy rank amongst boxes?

@Johnwa Kennedy tool boxes are considered very well made - but they aren't for heavy loads in drawers. For heavy loads one should avoid all of the Kennedy boxes. Their mechanics' boxes aren't as robust as a Lista, but they are well made, perhaps a smidge below a Snap on.

The brown crinkle boxes are for dentists tools, watchmakers and metrology. The rolling boxes are heavier built, but not as heavy as a Snap On.

gerritv

Gerrit
I consider Kennedy part of the mythology of machining. Before I had one I thought, hey, I really need one those. Now that I have one I don't care for it. Thankfully it was only $100 at auction with a load of measuring tools so not a loss.
The roller cabinets might be another story, haven't seen one of those in person.

gerrit

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I consider Kennedy part of the mythology of machining. Before I had one I thought, hey, I really need one those. Now that I have one I don't care for it. Thankfully it was only $100 at auction with a load of measuring tools so not a loss.
The roller cabinets might be another story, haven't seen one of those in person.

gerrit
I had two Kennedy 520 boxes and didn't care for them.
Now if a Vidmar showed up locally I'd be interested in that!

mmcmdl

In my eyes and trade , Kennedy is junk , although great for machinists . #1 box for them and expensive . That's why I sell them when I run across them . I'm into Vidmars and Listas with my heavy tools . The only Kennedy I'll keep is my mechanics box with the rollers . I'm not a machinist any longer and need quality heavy duty boxes now .