• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Alexander Tool and Cutter Grinder

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Calgary, AB - C$1,700

281426897_7601713783203821_4257981382522421690_n.png

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Colour scheme looks similar to Stefan Gotteswinters clone. If it is the same machine (likely a rebrand from overseas) then is maybe worth a couple hundred bucks… maybe I’m wrong… wouldn’t be the first time

Calgary, AB - C$1,700

281426897_7601713783203821_4257981382522421690_n.png
I have one of those in my little hoard. The Alexander was supposed to be of the same quality as the Deckel and I have read somewhere that he was a former employee of Deckel and was authorized to do so. This one appears to have off shore parts added to it possibly because of the near impossible to find collets that the early machines came with. Mine has those...... In fact it was while searching for information on these unicorn collets that I found this forum....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have one of those in my little hoard. The Alexander was supposed to be of the same quality as the Deckel and I have read somewhere that he was a former employee of Deckel and was authorized to do so. This one appears to have off shore parts added to it possibly because of the near impossible to find collets that the early machines came with. Mine has those...... In fact it was while searching for information on these unicorn collets that I found this forum....
Well the machinery gods work in mysterious ways. You may never have found us if it wasn't for those odd ball collets. I'm glad you did:)

gerritv

Gerrit
The colour scheme is a bit wierd but all parts are Alexander. This model (2CGD) uses the very easily available 20mm U2/E355 that can be had from AliExpress (excellent quality BTW). These are the same quality as Deckel, e.g. no gibs on the dovetails because they actually knew how to buiild properly. Motor and on-off switch are also original as is the motor mount. The only visibly thing missing is the centering gauge, easily made.

For a real d-bit grinder this is a good price, mine is identical (except the workhead colour), sold by same company. Serial 801 so a bit older than this one at serial 2813.
Wheel hubs are easy enough to make as are a range of attachments to grind lathe tools, gear cutters, etc.

With Deckel S0's for USD13000 if you can find one, this is a very close second at a very good price. And of course he might have collets etc. as well, just not in the picture. Make him an offer, listed prices are only ever a suggestion.

Gerrit

I think mine must be one of the earliest ones, as it doesn't have any provision for mounting a wheel dressing diamond, as well as the 16mm collets. I started making an attachment for it for sharpening lathe and shaper tools before last winter's disasters took away most of last years 20211023_082307.jpg play time....

gerritv

Gerrit
Are you suggesting that $1500+HST for a Chinese copy is a better deal than $1700 (or less depending on offer) for a Deckel quality original?? :)

I have the Shars and am impressed with the build quality. The Alexander is a Deckel clone, just done a lot earlier ;), the real question becomes how well it was maintained or worn out it is.

The second is what type of collets it uses, Deckels used a U2 (I believe), hard to get and limited in sizing (Vertex lists them) the second most common is the R8 again limited size selection but better than the U2, Shars is a 5C good selection and commonly available.

So, while old machines can be great consider the options of what is available. Consider that the new stuff may last 10-20 years for our simple use without any wear, and the old stuff until you test it out well......may cost you a lot more in time and money before it works correctly.

gerritv

Gerrit
Deckels used a U2 (I believe), hard to get and limited in sizing
AliExpress lists metric, imperial and hex ones in a variety of sizes. Readily available, anything else you buy an ER8/11/16 16mm shaft collet adapter and use it in a 16mm U2/E355 collet.
The Alexander is not a clone, it is a copy (rumored to have been under license from Deckel), down to the quality e.g. no gibs. No bearings needed to make up for crappy machining.

Its humorous to see justifying an asian clone/work alike on a forum noted for its routine dissing of same source at every opportunity when for the same or less money you can buy a quality machine locally.

As evidenced by what Stefan and Robin had/are still doing to to their workalikes, I would bet the Alexander on offer is a better deal. I know mine certainly is and it looked worse than the one on offer.

garball

And of course, it sold. The Alexander is not a clone, it was built under license from Deckel, from what I remember reading an ex-engineer in the UK. It is a very high quality machine. I have a brand new Shars (2022) and although it will work, it's no Alexander or Deckel by any stretch of the imagination. Like Stephan G. says, most import machines are just a kit.

I've just purchased the right Diamond stone to cut he center cutting portion of the 4 flute end mills, I post instructions once I've fully got it figured out.