Shop Alarm System Problems

Shop

slow-poke

Ultra Member
No SMS. It uses the native android notification process.

Costs me nothing after I purchase the devices. However you can pay extra for more storage or more devices.
Interesting, I definitely need to get informed about this.
- Where do you purchase the components?
- I used an Android phone for the longest time but now use my daughters old iPhone
- link or search phrase for how to?
Much appreciated.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I’d be interested in knowing if each of your master codes work in your system. That would seem like a major vulnerability since they likely would all be available somewhere on the internet.

My system will only accept one installer code and one master code. But you can have a large number of user codes. As @slow-poke implied, many installers use the same code. As far as I know that isn't the case for mine, and it is different from SlowPoke's. I am not too worried about my installer code. Mine is the old style system with an archaic programming method - *, code, data, *. Any thief savy enough to enter my home while I am there and reprogram my alarm would be better off using his time to break into a bank or a high end jewelry store. Most installers (including mine) change the default installer code to one specific to their company.

link or search phrase for how to?
Much appreciated.

www.arlo.com
www.toucan.com

Honeywell systems are a bit different. You have to register your TotalConnect app to their server. But you can download it and play with it w/o linking it to an alarm.

Not to sure about all kinds of things wanting to backup to "the cloud", seems like away to tie you into a system to access it. Yes you don't need as much memory in devices, but you are tied to a system to get to it.

Generally, I HATE "the cloud". But sometimes it makes sense. It's hard to beat video security footage that isn't on site to be stolen. What I don't like about cloud storage is the delay between uploading to the cloud and downloading to my phone. I wish the system streamed to my phone in real time and uploaded to the cloud I the background. I often mount a camera on the fence under my Purple Martin house to warn me about racoon intrusions at night. By the time I get the notification about a video and then watch the video to see if it's a racoon, the masked raider is gone so I can't give him any reasons to stay away. This year hasn't been a big problem - they are all dying in broad daylight from racoon distemper. The delay isn't as big a problem with a human intruder but I'd like faster feedback regardless.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You guys (@Dabbler, @slow-poke, @StevSmar, @trlvn, etc) are all bad influences.

I started this thread just as a warning to test your alarm regularly. Next thing you know I'm rethinking sub-systems, and now entire systems!

Seems my main panel is getting a little long in the tooth. Other than connecting via an app to the Honeywell server, I can't really talk to other devices. In some respects, that might be a good thing. But in researching more reliable Door and Window sensors, I am left to rethink major aspects.

For one thing, I'd like to be able to access and reprogram my alarm from a desktop window. I know that archaic codes provide a layer of security in and of themselves, but the older I get the more I like convenience.

And so the research has begun.....

I like @trlvn's idea of just swapping out the main panel and leaving the wiring.