• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

AJAX AJT-4 Ram Head Milling Machine. $3500, Picture Butte, AB

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
7ed4aeed-c838-4eb6-b726-bf1b103f4119

Bandit

Just got back from having a look at this unit, it's not as shiney as the pictures. Has not been used for the last 5-8 years. No power to it. Machinist? there said maybe power feed trans for table and or knee was haywire, wasn't "sure". Said could still get parts for it, that got me tingley all over. It may have been sitting in a corner of the welding part of the shop for some time, where the grinding is done. Appears manual feeds all work, as far as I tried them. It needs a major cleaning, table removed etc. The few oil gallery's in the ways I could see were completely blocked, all the ways had heavy dust/grinding/dirt/etc. on/in them. All power feed levers other then table lever could be moved. Ways all have scoring on them, where I could see. Spindle, some scoring on it, seemed fairly tight, not sure about power down feed. Appears 40 holder bore may have been spun, spindle bore, no idea, didn't remove tool holder. Motor, 380/415? volt, name plate hard to make out. Motor seems small for a 5hp.
Would I take it? Maybe for a lot less dollars, knowing I would spend a lot of time cleaning it up before able to use it. Anyway what I could see and my thoughts on this unit, and this is all worth what you paid me.
Oh, bring a small ladder to remove tool holder, I could barely reach the vary speed hand wheel, no I didn't try it.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
To me, from what @Bandit has reported, this could be a “calculated risk” deal. We know the axis work manually - so the machine is functional in that respect. The 5hp, 380/415V is typical European (mill is made in Spain): powerful and compact. Most of the time, these motors can be run on 220V as well. Check the motor data plate to confirm.

That leaves the spindle bearings and power feeds. Spindle bearings can be replaced (if it turns out that they are done, once mill is under power). Power feed system is a bit tricky, as operator error could have done substantial damage. Most of the time though, it is just shear pins that take the brunt of the “abuse”. They can be replaced. It requires deep dives into the gearbox (which by itself can be challenging as more often than not, special tools are required - which can be shop made).

So, I would try and get a feel from the seller how much interest they have had; are there any offers on the table? How many people have actually come to see the mill? I would start with a low $ figure as my offer citing all these mechanical unknowns. If they decide to hook power to the machine to “disprove “ your concerns, then things can go both ways: if it all checks out good - you may have a decent machine for a reasonable price, should you decide to go near their asking price and they sell it to you for that.

If things are indeed bad (noisy spindle, busted power feed), then your suspicions were correct and I would immediately change my offer to an even lover number because of all the issues (as they are now confirmed and they are witness to them).

If the seller wants to be rid of the machine, they may accept your low offer and you have a machine that needs (potentially a lot of) work. If you get it cheap enough, a repair is worth it as once everything functions correctly, the value goes up by a lot.

The replacement cost of the Accu-Rite DRO is well over a $1K just by itself.

The rise block can be taken out and sold - if one feels they are not going need it.

Oh, the location can also be in your favour. If you are close, might save a bundle on moving costs. If it were closer to Calgary or Edmonton, there might be more interested buyers.

These are just some thoughts I would have in my head if I was in the market for this type of mill.

Bandit

There was no offer to power it up, however I didn't ask either. They have 4 other mills in use there, what had me wondering was, " thought there was/maybe a problem with table/knee power feed". "Parts available", "company selling still in business". So seems that some checking had been done into a problem. Mill was replaced instead, time and or money to fix? Mill had been sitting for 5 plus years. Admittitly, there was a lot of grime, metal grinding?dust on the ways and things were stiff from lack of lube, but moving that table/knee by hand would get old fast, it is slightly bigger then most mill/drills.
DRO, may work? Ram handles were broke off, pipe wench may have been used on to turn. Table had general usage wear and tear, one or 2 cutter "slips" not very large. Tall machine, was on a pallet also.
Do I need a mill, beats hack saw, file, hammer and chisel, most of the time. Would I like the machine,maybe/yes. Is it bigger then I need, most likely. Am I looking at machine from a shop production view, very likely, that's some of my old back ground. Can I fix it if needed, most very likely. Can I move it into my work shop, yes, need help, maybe,no? Can I power it? Not sure, may at least need a transformer, have the amperage. Am I trying to convince myself need a non running? mill project, yes. Should I run away, most likely.
Anyway, youse takes a chance. Am not trying to convince others of anything, one way or the other. If you want, it's there till it's not.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, since condition is not that great as Bandit says one has to maybe offer a lower price if you want to play around with the machine to fix it.