Air cooled VFD spindle motor packages

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I messaged an Ali seller about the 110V 800 watt version. It kind of appears they could match the appropriate VFD? Actually 800w would be plenty of power & 110V would offer me some advantages.
Just wish I could see more details, download some specs or a manual. Maybe this is kind of like the oddity VFD @David88 was referring to? Well, at least they replied.

I wanted just the 800W power supply and couldn't find one. FWIW, I don't think the 800 Watt set is a VFD type. I think it is a DC motor and variable voltage power unit.

Here is a link to the Amazon product which provides better info than Ali.

RATTMMOTOR 800W 110V Spindle Motor Kit 20000RPM https://a.co/d/3QPatYo

I agree that downloadable manuals would be awesome. Dont think it will ever happen.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the Amazon unit is a different animal than these. The 2 ears suggest brushes. If its like others I've seen disassembled the bearing layout, count & retention is very different.

But Ali so called 110v spindle is mysterious too. It looks like a scaled down version of the bigger wattage brothers from the housing, bearings & (if you squint) the input wiring plug. Conceivably the only thing that would be different for 110V would be different motor windings to accommodate. But the description is puzzling. Somehow 800 watts turned into 3HP? They show dual voltage 110V/220V, is that model A & model B? I cant imagine a 220v could be de-rated to 110v use. The frequency, current, rpm range & mention of VFD all collectively smells like VFD... which they dont show but as mentioned say is available. I hope its not a language barrier thing where they mean 'speed control'. But all they sell is this stuff so would assume they know better.

• Type: air cooled
  • 3HP, 2 Poles
  • Size:230X95X108mm(9"X3.74"X4.3")
  • Weight: 3.7kg(8.2lbs)
  • Voltage: 110V/220V ,Power: 0.8 KW
  • Frequency: 400 Hz, Current: 6A
  • Speed: 5000-24000 RPM
  • Runout off: less than 0.005mm
  • 【TECHNICAL PARAMETERS】-This spindle should be equipped with 110V/220v,400HZ vfd. 3HP, 2 Poles, Collet ER11,Voltage: 110V/220V ,Power: 0.8KW, Frequency: 400 Hz, Current: 6A, Speed: 5000-24000 RPM, Runout off: less than 0.005 mm.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
But Ali so called 110v spindle is mysterious too. It looks like a scaled down version of the bigger wattage brothers from the housing, bearings & (if you squint) the input wiring plug. Conceivably the only thing that would be different for 110V would be different motor windings to accommodate.

I think the 110/220 is built into the controller not the motor. My 500w unit has a switch in the controller to select which input voltage is used.

Also, the controller is NOT a VFD. It is some kind of hybrid beast that controls voltage, duty cycle, and to some extent frequency.

I ran my motor on a variable voltage DC power supply just for shits and giggles. It ran just fine.

Somehow 800 watts turned into 3HP?

Good old Ali......

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
This is how loud the 2.2kw water cooled spindle is compared to a shop vac, I imagine the 1.5kw is about the same db

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is how loud the 2.2kw water cooled spindle is compared to a shop vac, I imagine the 1.5kw is about the same db

I dunno. The vast majority of that racket appears to be cutting noise. I doubt that can be changed without changing the cutting parameters (rpm, feed, depth, cutter itself, etc.) between cuts, it sounded ok to me.

Nice machine!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I dunno. The vast majority of that racket appears to be cutting noise. I doubt that can be changed without changing the cutting parameters (rpm, feed, depth, cutter itself, etc.) between cuts, it sounded ok to me.

Nice machine!
Absolutely correct. The cutting noise is far louder than the spindle itself.
For true ear-splitting racket cutting aluminum is the ticket.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member

Nice machine!

Yes, the majority is cutting noise, the spindle on its own is extremely quiet, compare to a router where most of the noise you hear is the router itself, I have been led to understand those x.x kw air cooled spindles are just about as loud as a router

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, the majority is cutting noise, the spindle on its own is extremely quiet, compare to a router where most of the noise you hear is the router itself, I have been led to understand those x.x kw air cooled spindles are just about as loud as a router

How is water cooling done? Separate pump and radiator, or a waterline from the building plumbing, or or or

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
How is water cooling done? Separate pump and radiator, or a waterline from the building plumbing, or or or

Just a 5 gallon pail and an aquarium pump, I have yet to run it long enough or hard enough to have the water heat up

What about you @David_R8 ? Bucket and a pump or something more elaborate?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I just use the supplied pump with a sealed container of 12 litre 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze. I have not detected any rise in temperature even when doing 45-60 min jobs.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
My thoughts were *if* I ever see a rise in temp I'll just toss an icepack in the bucket

But if your not seeing any real temp rise in 45min I doubt I will ever have a problem

I'm also using the pump that came with the spindle

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just use the supplied pump with a sealed container of 12 litre 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze. I have not detected any rise in temperature even when doing 45-60 min jobs.

Is the antifreeze required for corrosion protection or is that just you thinking ahead to winter?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So basically 1/4" aquarium hose would work..... Hmmmmm
Yup. I used the hose that came with the pump because there was about 30 ft of it. I have the silicone tube on my CO2 laser and I don't like how kink-able it is.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I found a video of something closer to what I was originally interested in - a 110V-in VFD-d 1500 watt 'boxy' spindle similar to the larger ones.
There is also video called Dirty Secrets of Chinese Spindles For CNC Routers (400W DC Spindle Teardown) that shows the rubber-dubber bearing retainers which you can watch if interested. Not all motors of this class are constructed this way but it seems to be a common theme for the cheapos. Seems like more of the brushless ones have legitimate bearing housings but even those vary by how they accommodate heat (or don't) but these motors are kind of outside the scope of what I was interested in.

In the second link I found a more current Amazon link, this time 2200 watts but again 110V in. There are some videos at the bottom including some aluminum milling.