• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Air compressor fill time sanity check

Tool

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Separated the two tanks this afternoon. Checked belt tension.
Turns out the belt was loose, likely because it was brand new so has worn in.
Cut the 0-60 psi time in more than half; 3 mins vs 1:22.
Time to 125 psi is now 3:22 on a single tank.
That’s a massive improvement.

Hard to believe a belt could be loose enough to cause that kind of difference! I'm amazed!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Holy smokes!
0 -125 psi in 5:48!
Only change was to remove the quick connect from the bottom tank where the whip went to the top tank.
That was a lot of restriction!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 3

Bandit

Super User
Some of the quick connects are very poor for air flow, in hand with too small fittings and lines attached to them, a big problem causing not enough air, is leaks in the system, which also can over work the compressor/motor. You might have 120 psi static, but only be a getting lower pressure at useage point, due to small lines, poor connectors, fittings, etc. when in use. Looong lines are a problem too. A pressure gauge at the useage point can be an eye opener.
A funny thing this is the same for air, liquid, and electrical. Is what looks like a regulater on the lower tank bypassed before it goes to the upper tank? Might be some issues there if not.

Last edited:

Bandit

Super User
Not sure how much room there is from wall to the compressor, but air flow for cooling compressor head could be a problem also, as a lot of pumping time when using blasting cabinet.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure how much room there is from wall to the compressor, but air flow for cooling compressor head could be a problem also, as a lot of pumping time when using blasting cabinet.
It’s about 10” from the wall.
I’m planning to put a box fan on it when if I’m using it for prolonged periods of time.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Some of the quick connects are very poor for air flow, in hand with too small fittings and lines attached to them, a big problem causing not enough air, is leaks in the system, which also can over work the compressor/motor. You might have 120 psi static, but only be a getting lower pressure at useage point, due to small lines, poor connectors, fittings, etc. when in use. Looong lines are a problem too. A pressure gauge at the useage point can be an eye opener.
I’ve always been told that you can damage air tools by not giving them enough airflow. Probably not applicable to a sandblaster tho, but that’s the reason I run big air lines and the largest fittings.