• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Ahoy there from Sault Ste Marie Ontario.

doogymon

Hello!

Machine shop in High School was my passion. Wanted to be a Machinist.....Apprentice program was not strong....Joined the forces.....Retired and went to a wee Machine Shop course just recent. Now I would like to buy a lathe and have a hobby in the man cave. Looking into an old iron lathe purchase. Will be boning up on that. Lovely to see a Canadian forum and looks well designed. Much Obliged in advance. Cheers from Doog.

Perfesser

Hello!

Machine shop in High School was my passion. Wanted to be a Machinist.....Apprentice program was not strong....Joined the forces.....Retired and went to a wee Machine Shop course just recent. Now I would like to buy a lathe and have a hobby in the man cave. Looking into an old iron lathe purchase. Will be boning up on that. Lovely to see a Canadian forum and looks well designed. Much Obliged in advance. Cheers from Doog.
Hello Doogy and welcome from Nobel Ont. (just north of Parry Sound) Funny that you should mention a lathe? I have recently upgraded the size of both my lathe and my mill. I have a South Bend lathe and a round column mill that I need anew home for.

PaulC

Hello!

Hello and welcome from Blind River! Semi-retired veterinarian, 2 Lt in the Canadian army reserves years ago, now amateur machinist and Ontario licensed steam locomotive engineer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from farm country south of Chatham Ontario. I grow rocks and repair farm equipment.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg Doog. Like you I loved machining in school. I always vowed that I’d have a metal lathe in my workshop by the time I retired.

I’m about 4 years ahead of plan… and will soon add a mill to keep the lathe company.

I thought about the second hand lathe route, then decided I already had way to many hobbies and bought new.
I started out thinking about a small sherline type lathe and then a year later purchased a 12” gearhead lathe...

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome from Kitchener, Ontario.

I have been around machine shops for the last 35 years.
I was apprenticing as a general machinist with Ex-Cell-O from 1980-84 when the recession hit. I went back to school to study machinery design and project management.
My ‘old’ machinist toolbox has dozens of endmills, parallels, verniers and micrometers that are in good shape after almost 40 years of storage. They are coming in handy now that I have a mini-mill and drill press.

My second career had me designing machinery and managing capital equipment projects for Kellogg’s, Big O Tile and a few process machinery companies.

Post your questions, this group of hobbyists come from a variety of experiences and are quick to share their stories.

doogymon

Howdy Folks.....Back to you.......Thanks Larry....Picked up and put together the SB 9B Lathe and Mill-Drill (RongFu KnockOff) in my basement for hobbyist light duty fun.
The machines are roughed in so now i want to level off and secure them proper. Got the motors running. Table built for the Mill. Also have lubricated as best as i can with way oil and spindle
oil but have to learn the other oils asap. No tooling so i am pursuing just the basics. KBC, Busy Bee and Amazon (Which do you prefer?) and of course EBay and Kijiji.
I need a good book on the South Bend 9B. So much info plastered on the Internet that its overwhelming. I need a Drill Chuck (MT2) for the lathe. I need cutting tools.
Have the holder. I have a dead centre..do i need a live centre? For the Round Column Mill I need a bit more: Drill Chuck (MT3) (Arbor with JT#33?), a vise, a draw bar, clamps for the table,
and maybe a E32 Kit with the Chuck and Shank for End Mills. Will look for end mills and drill bits and maybe a carbide end mill. Just looking for basic, simple and starter quality but also best bang for buck is good. Buying new with free shipping maybe the way to go when you live in the boonies. Next msg will be in one of the sections of this great forum. Cheers and Thanks.

Doog