• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Adding colour to designs?

Morning,
I'm researching the different CAD programs available that work well for machinist designs, but I haven't seen anywhere that talks about adding colours to your designs.
Is this possible with basic CAD programs, or do I have to break out the crayons??
Thanks in advance,
Ken

gerritv

Gerrit
Fusion360, right click on a component, select Appearance. Lots of choices for you. There is also a Render facility which gets close to realistic rendering of parts and assemblies.
This is a render of a tool I am developing, brushed aluminium, steel, stainless steel and Delrin.

Gerrit 5b8243ac-65ac-4931-8631-65489f58c8ce.PNG

Wow, that looks like a photograph, not a drawing.
Do you think this Fusion 360 is a good starting point for someone who has never used CAD?
I'm not computer illiterate, but it's not something I know a lot about .
Ken

George

I am currently trying to learn Fusion 360, you can get it for Free, just make sure you select Hobby Machinist, it’s all web based so you don’t hold your work on your computer, I am also playing with Freecad and this is a computer based program, not being too tech savvy it’s a big learning curve, but there are tons of YouTube videos to get you going on almost any CAD package you go for.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would think most all 3D cad programs allow color definition of surfaces. The word rendering is used kind of loosely depending on the app, but for now just consider it as 'upscale' meaning more photorealistic image of the part. So colors, texture, skin definition (carbon, fabric, wood...) reflective shadows, light source... Its usually not a mode you operate in when designing because its a real processing drag. Some apps even sell cost-ad modules for this, some integrate it to a degree. You also need PC processor & GC power.

I googled Fusion rendering link below, lots of eye candy. In terms of 3D modeler recommendation, lots has been written on the forum pros & cons. If you are into CAM it definitely has value because its somewhat bundled. But the recent pricing model shenanigans should be reviewed & understood so you know what you're getting into & why as suggested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fus...ACAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=2048&bih=1010&dpr=1.25

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I am currently trying to learn Fusion 360, you can get it for Free, just make sure you select Hobby Machinist, it’s all web based so you don’t hold your work on your computer, I am also playing with Freecad and this is a computer based program, not being too tech savvy it’s a big learning curve, but there are tons of YouTube videos to get you going on almost any CAD package you go for.

The Fusion 360 program is installed on your computer. it wants to check in regularly but you can run it for a while without an internet connection. You can also save your work locally but it does default to the cloud.

gerritv

Gerrit
The pricing of Fusion360 is not an issue at all, esp. not for hobby use. And even if once in a while you need the additional features, rent them for a month. This applies mostly to CAM tool paths. The active file restriction is easily handled in my recent experience. I was planning to get a 3 year license when next on sale but am finding that I don't really need it for my mill and 3D printing. If I really need rapids for a project, then CA$80 gets me that for a month (and of course the toolpaths stay available after that).

Where Fusion360 shines IMO is the vast number of YT videos available to learn with. Autodesk outputs multiple videos per week, including live sessions where you can ask questions.

I found FreeCad a waste of time. Lots of potential but like many FOSS light on documentation and a plan. E.g. Drawing WB is now replaced by TechDraw workbench, until they change their minds again. To be fair the web site has improved markedly this past year. I just don't have the energy to keep trying out their latest efforts.

Gerrit

gerritv

Gerrit
As an example of why I think the free version is adequate for hobby, this is an adaptive clearing tool path. The part stock is 50x20mm. The yellow lines are the only rapid movements, everything else is cutting speeds. At 1100mm/min cutting speed is the same as the rapid speed in the free version. It won't make much difference on this type of part, 3000mm/min might look great for rapids but not really needed for this.

Screenshot 2021-10-02 152952.jpg