• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

ACME Threading Problem

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The problem turned out to be the CR steel that I bought to practice threading with. I tried a normal 60* thread it was worse than the acme, it literally peeled/tore out pieces of metal. Even with a .001 DOC it would cut nicely, the stuff is sh_t..

The gummy cr.p I was attempting to thread one time grabbed and broke a carbide insert leaving a carbide tip imbedded in the thread. Changed the insert and promptly toasted it. Cost me three inserts before I twigged on to the fact the each new insert was encountering the imbedded carbide tip from the previous attempt. In any event that stuff would not thread worth a sh.t.

Last edited: